Torpedo Ray encounter Folly Cove 8/22/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A shocking story.

Be thankful it was only a defensive strike and not a predatory one. Otherwise, 220 volts may be delt out and its nothing I would ever want under water.

We had some nice dives. Vis wasn't as good as it often is, but the diving there is still amazing. A short video from Sunday (with torpedo electric ray):

[vimeo]14414059[/vimeo]

Envy. Farnsworth is nice diving! All I've got this week is endless rain.

Cheers,

X

I dove Cathedral Rocks in Rockport, MA several days ago and encountered a 3-4 ft torpedo ray in about 30ft of water, a few hundred yards from shore (my first sighting ever!)... it just was swimming around slowly; the group of divers I was with followed it from several feet away for a while. I've also heard from people that unless you provoke them (intentionally or otherwise), they will leave you alone. The sighting certainly took my breath away...I, too, am curious about whether a wetsuit makes a difference during a shock by one. Happy to hear you're safe & sound! :)

We had some nice dives. Vis wasn't as good as it often is, but the diving there is still amazing. A short video from Sunday (with torpedo electric ray):

[vimeo]14414059[/vimeo]

Come on man'. That ain't right to show Farnsworth video, X scooters and multiple Torpedo Rays. Double ENVY :eyebrow:

Not to stray too far off topic...you will notice that the "Torpedies" have that arrogant "come and find out" look about em'. That's how a couple of divers got zapped near Farnsworth years ago. I bet the one that wrapped around the OP up here had that same arrogant attitude of I'll zap you for the fun of it.

X

Here's an informative and apparently well-based article, Electrogenesis in Torpedo Rays:

Electrogenesis in Torpedo Rays

Nice link, thanks Dave.

If people don't want to wade through the whole article the last paragraph is probably what most people will be interested in.

Glad you weren't hurt.

I know another diver that was zapped here in RI. He described the feeling being like biting a 9V battery. Not sure why he knew what biting a battery felt like but anyway.... :D He was also okay when it was over.

I've been told of one at Fort Wethrill Jamestown RI but yet to see it. With vis at Wethrill this year I'll feel it before I see it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom