Topographical Map of Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
bluehole_2d.gif

bluehole_3d-1.gif

As apart of my dive master class I had to make a topographical map of the Blue Hole. I've had the data gathered for a while, but have been bored and found some software that would allow me to take my data and make something that looks somewhat decent as a topographical map.

The Grid is roughly based on 10 foot lengths (2 x arm spans). The x and y axis runs due north/south and east/west. I do know that I'm missing some data for the furthest south and north portions of the Blue Hole, but this is what I have. :)

Cool! Now if the entire thing could be mapped from side to side, top to bottom, that would be an interesting display!!

Good job James!

Very cool. Is that dip in the lower right where the grate is?

ABQdiver:
Cool! Now if the entire thing could be mapped from side to side, top to bottom, that would be an interesting display!!

Good job James!

That would be very cool! Thanks Kevin!

Jasonmh:
Very cool. Is that dip in the lower right where the grate is?

Yep. :)

I did my mapping of BH for my DM class. Its all done by hand.
Your CAD topo is very cool!
What a great resource for future mappers!

I would like to see the CAD side view of the entire site!

I've played around a little more with the topographic mapping software and updated the images slightly. :)

bluehole_2d-1.gif

bluehole-3d-2.PNG

Cool, and nice job!

Funny my future topo mapping for a DM class looks JUST LIKE THIS! :rofl3:

Looking at the topo map I can picture the bottom. Funny however I swam down to the grate and shoved my had to within a few inches of the bottom, and I can't remember the exact depth (I'll look at my puter), but it was not much over 80feet.

Does the depth change with water level maybe? Maybe my computer is a bit off? It seems accurate compared to other computers.

RonFrank:
Cool, and nice job!

Funny my future topo mapping for a DM class looks JUST LIKE THIS! :rofl3:

Looking at the topo map I can picture the bottom. Funny however I swam down to the grate and shoved my had to within a few inches of the bottom, and I can't remember the exact depth (I'll look at my puter), but it was not much over 80feet.

Does the depth change with water level maybe? Maybe my computer is a bit off? It seems accurate compared to other computers.

Thanks! I got 87' from behind the grate. There is a small opening behind the grate in which you can stick your hand down into the cave system and 87' is what I came up with. It's about 86' when your computer is level with the hole is behind the grate and it's something like 84' infront of the grate. :)

amascuba:
Thanks! I got 87' from behind the grate. There is a small opening behind the grate in which you can stick your hand down into the cave system and 87' is what I came up with. It's about 86' when your computer is level with the hole is behind the grate and it's something like 84' infront of the grate. :)

How many trips down did it take you to complie this information? While I can not remember inch for inch what the bottom looks like, it sure seems accurate.

It took me and one other dm candidate three x 25min (around 35min total run time) dives to get all the information that we needed. :)

What we did was take a reel and tie loops in the line every ten feet. From there we tied the reel to the grate and ran it due north until we hit a well. From there we tied the reel off to the wall, which can be a little tricky. After that we went due east/west from the loops at every ten feet and took note of the depth at every 2 arm spans, which we estimated to be roughly 10 feet.

There is a portion of the northern most part of the hole that we did not survey (which you can see from the flat line on the top part of the map) and possibly a small section in the southern most portion of the hole.

Back
Top Bottom