Top ten list?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gamgan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello!

I have been looking around the net for cosumer reports on scuba gear, or top ten list but most list I found seemed to be baised depending on what the website is promoting.

Does any one know a more or less unbaised site that shows top ten list of the best equipment per type?

I Know each person will have an opinion of what is best or what works for them, but I was hoping to find a list to know what items I should look into. Like top ten bdc models, or Alt air's models.

Any ideas?

I think there is no such thing. IMHO, all the gear works. Some items do things differently, but not necessarily better, than other items. Cost does not mean better. Some items cost more because they have different purposes. One simple example is the regulator choice for diving in cold water vs always diving in warm water. The cold water reg is more expensive, but necessary. My advice is to go to several dive shops and ask for advice. Take everything with a grain of salt, particularly if the sales person pushes the pricier items. Ask why one item costs more than another and what that added cost actually gets you. I went through the same agony of too many choices without enough knowledge or advice that you are probably experiencing. In the end, I settled on well known brands available two dive shops near me, then obtained prices from each and bargained. I went with Apeks regs, Seaquest BCDs and Oceanic computers, but if the dive shops had carried gear from different manufacturers, I'd happily have gone with that instead.

I should also add that my wife and I felt no obligation whatsoever in buying equipment that were the latest product releases. We bought new, but older model regs, for example, but they had the same breathing dynamics as the newer models. They suited our purposes just fine 5 yrs ago; they were much less expensive than the newer models, they still are just fine and will probably be just fine for another 5-10 yrs.

I agree totally with Imorin in previous post, the only thing I would add would take your time pick up the Rodale's mag reviews for different items to give the basic info on what different manufacturers offer-to taylor your purchases to your type of diving.

I picked a few brands and learned as much as I could about each of there offerings. For example, learn as much as you can about two or three regulator manufacturer' products that you can find a tech for that you like, doesnt neccessarly have to be a local tech, and choose a suitable reg. I also like older models; I did the same thing. I Bought a couple of Scubapro mk16's because they are not marketed by Scubapro anymore, parts are everywhere, they don't seem to be sought after so the price was right, and they are very high performance. There are alot of great brands and products out there so narrow your search, maybe even arbitrarally, and then learn as much as you can about the product from that brand. You'll find what you want that way.

Thanks guys this is great advice. I have only seen cressi mares and oceanic gear as this is what most of the Lds's around my home sell. Most of my gear is oceanic because that's what the Divemaster who is teaching me wears so i followed suit . I am going to start asking other divers about their set ups to get more opinions. It's when buying online that I am at lost what is what. Items are much cheaper but don't know if their quality. Again thanks for the info :)

I have only seen cressi mares and oceanic gear as this is what most of the Lds's around my home sell. Most of my gear is oceanic because that's what the Divemaster who is teaching me wears so i followed suit . I am going to start asking other divers about their set ups to get more opinions.

From your other posts I put you in an Oceanic Probe BC w/ Air XS and Alpha 8 primary. The first stage is likely SP-5, although you could be lucky and have PX-3 or better. The only piece above you seem to be settled on is the Air XS.

One thing about SB is many members have filled out their profiles so you do not have to ask about their gear, just check out their profile page. I had to go back through your other posts to get my intel on your gear.

If you have a PX-3 or better first stage (CDX-5, FDX-10), all you need is a better primary. I think there are a number of Cressi BC's that would be better, but then the Alpha 8 might be a better alternate (I can mail you a yellow face plate).

Do the local instructors or DM's sell their 2 year old gear?

Back
Top Bottom