Top Ten Dive Sites on Ambergris caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can understand a dive guide not wanting to take divers of unknown provenance through Love Tunnels, but an outright ban seems a little extreme. But maybe that's his position anyway - he won't take anyone he doesn't know is capable of it.

The names of the sites get mixed up. The divemasters have a tendency to BS the tourist divers on the locations. Love tunnels seems to be at three or four locations depending on the severity of the DM's hangover and the price of gasmilage.
Ambergris Caye has dozens of swim throughs any of which could be called Love Tunnel. I placed a huge diamond ring in a sea shell at the bottom of the one I call Love Tunnel several years ago for a love sick guy that wanted to propose underwater to his girlfriend.
It was a big room with large exits and no dark tight squeezes. She said yes.

We dove 12 sites mostly out in front of Paradise Villas with Reef Adventure Diving two weeks ago and Tres Cocos and Tackle Box would be my favorites but there were not any sites I would tell you to pass on.

Just talked to my dive master and he says he won't take people to love tunnels. The reason is that it is very dark and you cannot see the exit. There is a cavern style opening that people tend to get "stuck" in. The reason is that the exit is low and people go up instead of following the divemaster. Love Tunnels is not very far north at all, it is in front of El Pescador. M&M Tunnels are actually further North (in front of Sundiver) just north of White Sands Dive shop. M & M Tunnels are awesome, safer and one of my favorite dive sites on the island. See my post above.

Cheers,
Carlos

This sounds like the site I have been wanting to get back to. I understand a DM wanting to make sure the divers are comfortable and competent for this site. The dive briefing I recieved was excellent and I generally pay attention to the briefing so I was prepared for the dark opening and lack of visual exit initially. I hope to go back and will make another request when I'm there in December. This site is on my top 10 for AC.

The closest dive centre to it is "Bubba's" (ie. Elbert's) White Sands Dive Center, and they'll certainly go there. When I went there last it was with Reef Adventures, and I've been there with Island Divers. I used to go there quite often with my own dive centre, Protech.

As it happens I am booked with Elbert and White Sands. My first time with this shop. I really appreciate how accomodating the process has been to pre-book/pay online. I have 40-45 dives off AC and this year I'll be doing a Blue Hole trip for the first time. I have just under 100 dives total so obviosly AC is my favorite dive vacation with nearly half of all my dives there and after this vacation I may exceed 50%. Three days of work, one day of travel, and I am back underwater in my favorite destination!

Have a good time! Where will you be staying?

Back
Top Bottom