Top Dawg Video Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubabob

Reaction score
I am interested in a reasonably priced video housing(if there is such a thing). Does anyone have any experience with TOP DAWG Video Housing and video lights? $ 1299.00 for housing with electronic controls for sony, one video light, and case. I have also seen two different kits for housings (under $300.00). Anybody out there put one of these kits together? Any Advice or opinions on housings in general would be appreciated.

Lots of options out there. To start, what kind of camera do you have ?

The Top Dawg has a good reputation. I would skip on the lights and get a filter. I only use lights for night dives. Day dives the filter works great. During the day, their 20watt lights won't do much good anyway (too weak). You can always add lights for night dives later and they do not have to be Top Dawg lights, but that is a whole other discussion. FWIW I use a Gates Diego and a Sony TRV 900, lights are AUL.

Ronrosa, What depth can you go to and still have enough natural light for video? What is FWIW? What is AUL? Suggestions on where to get filter? Thanks

I have great footage 100' down at Molokini backside in Maui. However, my Sony TRV-900 is pretty good w/ low light. Not sure about your TRV-730. FWIW = for what it's worth, AUL = American Underwater Lighting, an underwater lighting manufacturer.

Top Dawg sells filters, I use UR-Pro. Not sure if Top Dawg filters attach to the housing or the camera.

I own two Top Dawg housings and a pair of their lights. I find the Top Dawg to be a good starter system and very flexible given the wide range of Sony and Canon camcorders that will work with it. I have three different Sony camcorders and I can put which ever once I want to in the housing without changing any settings.

I like the magnetic controls. I have used Light & Motion Bluefin housings and when the batteries in their pods fade, you may be in trouble if you can't find a set (or don't have spares). No batteries needed in the Top Dawg.

In 2 1/2 years of using my two Top Dawgs I have had two "floods," each time only a tablespoon or two of water. However, each time it was enough to knock out the housing electronics (a $200-300 replacement). First flood was my fault- I didn't check the o-rings carefully enough. The second time was a complete mystery.

The housing works well for close-up work (which I do a lot of). The flat port is designed for such. However, I do miss the L&M Bluefin for wide angle views.

For the price the Top Dawg is a pretty fair deal. You can even find them used at Backscatter in Monterey or on E-Bay, etc.

Dr. Bill
http://www.starthrower.org

Scubabob:
I am interested in a reasonably priced video housing(if there is such a thing). Does anyone have any experience with TOP DAWG Video Housing and video lights? $ 1299.00 for housing with electronic controls for sony, one video light, and case. I have also seen two different kits for housings (under $300.00). Anybody out there put one of these kits together? Any Advice or opinions on housings in general would be appreciated.

hi
i have video housing phoenix 10

i have video housing phoenix 10 it is nice for sale $300.00

Back
Top Bottom