Top 10 wreck wish list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you get your T1, you'll have to do 25 experience dives (correct me if I'm wrong) before you can do T2.

I think rjack is just trying to say that maybe your focus should be on the task at hand, T1.

As for wrecks, as a few others have suggested, there are some cool wrecks off NC.

If you get your T1, you'll have to do 25 experience dives (correct me if I'm wrong) before you can do T2.

I think rjack is just trying to say that maybe your focus should be on the task at hand, T1.

As for wrecks, as a few others have suggested, there are some cool wrecks off NC.

Yes 25 dives is correct. Although most Tech1 divers I know dive at that level for several years before biting off Tech2. Actually it sounds like the task at hand is DIRF. So in the same vein... Most Fundementals divers I know also take several years to progress to the point where they feel ok taking an expensive 5 day GUE-Tech1 or Cave1 course.

Even with that timeline, the pass rate for Tech1 lately has been not very good at all. Overall, 18months DIRF to Tech2 is exceedingly optimistic, both for myself and the GUE trained divers I know. Prior training may or may not provide a "leg up". Overall, goal oriented dives and GUE's training progression/style are not very compatible IMO.

The Emperor off Isle Royale in Superior
The Milwaukee off Milwaukee in Michigan
The Dunderburg in Lake Huron

Top ten

Overall, goal oriented dives and GUE's training progression/style are not very compatible IMO.

Matt, the above is very true. While the "DIR" style was originally developed to do some pretty aggressive exploring, it's morphed into a skills-oriented program that never ends. If you are a goals-oriented person you'll likely never make it through GUE because you'll never be "good enough" or won't find a comparable buddy to go with you. Best advice I can give you is to go find an instructor who is doing the dives you want to do, talk to a few of their students to make sure, and then train with them regardless of agency.

There's nothing wrong with bettering your skills, but there are people who need to eventually stop practicing and go do some exploring and you my friend are one of those. If you were out here on the "right" coast, I'd set you up.

The U-869 is a great dive - but here's one I'd really like to do: The Britannic Foundation - Dive HMHS Britannic

Bob

i have GUE-F class and a tech 1 class from ag so im just doing tech 1 to do gue only dives. i know 2 gue Instructors both at itc right now one tring to get his tech 1 instructors the skill is not the deal so stop till me what to do im at tech 1 so to go from tech one to tech 2 in 18 mouths is not crazy and as taking seven years will id like to do this crazy stuff when im young and can pay for it no need to get old and out of shap frist. So for the last time id like to know some cool wrecks im not here to get avise if that was the case id ask how long to wait but im not stay on topic or get of the thread

Matt- The FL Keys are a great option for wreck diving at the GUE-F, T1 and T2 levels. Extended bottom times on the Spiegel, Duane and Bibb make a great warm up for the Queen of Nassau and the Northern Lights. At mile marker 0 (Key West) we have the Cayman Salvager, the USS Curb, the Wilkes-Barre and MANY others.

If and when you get here, send us an email...Florida Keys DIR Club... fkdir@yahoogroups.com

And on a side note, thank you for your service to this great country!

The Spiegel and Duane are fantastic wreck dives! I just went for my wreck diving cert. last weekend, and these were two of the 8 dives we did. I loved both of them, as well as the Benwood, Sea Emperor and Ancient Mariner. I'm looking forward to diving many more wrecks as I'm now addicted (doesn't take much....lol), so I really appreciate this thread to get some ideas. Thanks, everyone! <kiss, kiss, kiss>

I hope to be in fl this summer so ill email you and will haft to go do one of those wrecks before i go

Back
Top Bottom