Toothpaste, really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4kafka

Contributor
Reaction score
Recently purchased two new masks. An Atomic Frameless 2 and an Oceanic Shadow (my backup).
My initial trip to the pool produced fogging on both. It’s been a while since I bought a dive mask...so I guess it’s necessary to “prepare” the interior glass with a few swipes of what...Colgate ?

Lemon scent Soft Scrub. Rinses easier than toothpaste. Make sure you do it 5-6 times.

I had a lot of trouble with masks fogging. Toothpaste, Sea buff, or some other stuff, doesn't much matter what, the important thing is to do it 6 or 7 times. Once just will not do it, in fact once doesn't really do much of anything at all. I also found that it worked better if I carefully rinsed and dried the glass in between applications. Use paper towels and toss them after each use, otherwise you are just smearing the stuff back on the glass. I washed and rinsed the entire mask too, because it's the mold release on the silicone body that you are trying to get rid of. If you just do the glass you will likely have more migrate back on the glass eventually. You still have to use defog when diving no matter what, but unless the mask is free of the mold release it will fog no matter what. You might also find that the Atomic will want to fog if the water is a little cold because it is low volume and the glass right up near your eyes and forehead sits very close to your warm head.
Use fire at your own risk...I don't care how fantastic it worked once for the rest of the world, it is not worth it to me ruining a $170.00 mask.

There is a residual chemical film on the glass from the manufacturing process. Special cleaning agents, scrubs and countless techniques, including toothpaste, to remove this film have been marketed and prescribed. I have found “flaming” the glass is the only thing that is guaranteed to work.

Also keep in mind that if you routinely touch the internal part of the glass with your fingers (eg to clean it after some time of no use, or to spread your saliva if you use this "fog prevention" method) fat residue from your fingers builds up causing fogging in the long term and every now and then (50 uses or more) you will need to repeat the cleaning with toothbrush, soap or similar stuff.

Dish washer is a tip I got from local distributer. Works great

Back
Top Bottom