Toothpaste, really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never never never use a lighter to burn off the coating . Full stop ever.
The glass is heat treated and using an open flame to remove the residue will change the temper of the glass and VOID YOUR WARRENTY.
Use toothpaste or another suitable cleaner . Do it several times.

Hollis wernt through a big investigation surrounding broken glass and the end cause is exposure to heat from open flame.
I am sure Hollis had the budget to do a full on forensic on a few dive masks ....... in any case, the point is not to melt the glass (which a lighter wouldn’t be able to do anyways) but to gently burn the film of organic residue on the glass.

There was a huge thread resulting from the Hollis mask fiasco. My response at the time was this: “Why is the removal of this chemical film my freaking responsibility? I have gone through numerous masks over the years and I am exhausted with the process, yet the manufacturers continue to ignore the problem.”

The manufacturers need to address this issue!

Am i the only 1 that keeps a little water(tablespoon) in the mask so as i move around the fog is wiped away?

Am i the only 1 that keeps a little water(tablespoon) in the mask so as i move around the fog is wiped away?

I have been doing that as well, but was certainly hoping to not have to do water in the mask all the time.

I just got my first new mask in ten years today. I burned it three times and plan to test it tomorrow.
The mask was perfect with just a little spit and rinse. No fogging whatsoever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom