Tools for opening Computer Battery Door

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What do you use to open your computer battery door? I just saw a coin shaped screw driver (below) which made me wonder what everyone uses to prevent door damage.

upload_2019-2-18_9-53-49.jpeg

This screw driver is crazy expensive as compared to regular screw drivers. But, if it prevented damaging a battery door then it could be of value. Or make your own?

I use a quarter or flathead for my shearwaters and a basic set of watch tools for my suuntos; can pick up a kit for like $15 on amazon, mainly just use the tool for gripping and compressing the springbars.

I'd just look for a coin that fits, and then keep it in my dive kit along with the spare batteries. That stubbie special screwdriver would probably cost as much as a roll of quarters, but being made in Switzerland it'll actually cost as much as a roll of 2 Franc coins.
Too rich for my blood.

Michael

FWIW I've found a $2 Canadian coin (Toonie) fits well. I put that in a vise with just enough showing to engage the slot. Then I push the computer down on that and unscrew. This arrangement gives great purchase and prevents rocking and twisting out of the slot. They get damn sticky after being closed a long time.

Had a friend of mine soldered a washer an a metal bar some years back. Worked perfectly to open my Dive Rite Nitek Trio and does just fine with my Shearwater Petrel. A regular screwdriver is perfect to open my Dive Rite Nitek Q. Still I will have a look at these tools.

A nice new US nickel fits snugly in my Oceanic type transmitter and had the added benefit of the raised rim to hold tight when turning.

Dessert spoon for covers with a slot, circling pliers for the one with 2 holes

Back
Top Bottom