Tool dip alternative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a problem with leaking drysuit boots. I've debated sending the suit back to DUI for the third time and wait...wait...wait... or try a DIY method. Someone mentioned Tool Dip once. All the research I've done has pointed to the fact that you need to heat a tool to 450F before you dip it into the plastic. Not an option with neoprene! Is there anything other than smothering the entire boots in Aquaseal out there? I've patched a few pinholes in the suit itself, but have been unable to locate the holes in the boots.

MaxBottomtime:
I have a problem with leaking drysuit boots. I've debated sending the suit back to DUI for the third time and wait...wait...wait... or try a DIY method. Someone mentioned Tool Dip once. All the research I've done has pointed to the fact that you need to heat a tool to 450F before you dip it into the plastic. Not an option with neoprene! Is there anything other than smothering the entire boots in Aquaseal out there? I've patched a few pinholes in the suit itself, but have been unable to locate the holes in the boots.

Max,

Plastisol will cure rapidly at 450 and you will get a pretty thick coat in one step, but will cure ok at room temp, just takes a while.

I've coated battery packs and also small electric motors I use around my waterjet machine, I heated neither. At room temp the coats are pretty thin and the part drips. May take a few coats to achieve the results you seek.

Good luck,

Tobin

I be sending it back to DUI and telling them that you want a replacement suit if it's leaking, and been back to them a couple of times already. How old and what model of suit is it? For the money, any of the DUI suits don't really seem to live up to the hipe, compaired to the other suits that are out there in the market place. I would also be reminding them that a lot of people are going to be hearing about the experience I'm having with leaks and their inablity to fix them. It's amazing what happens when you make some noise, especially when it's not exactly positive about a product that a company like DUI makes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom