Tool Bag and Individual Tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something to keep in mind ... Officially NO, NONE, NADA as far as carry on tools go when leaving Cozumel. That includes really basic stuff stuff like an Allen wrench (hex key). They have (had) a cute little display case that showcases all the (otherwise legal) evil contriband they are looking for ...

Probably applies to Cancun as well. They tried to take my bit driver in Cancun, I pointed to my leg and said it was for it (and it was I carry the bit for it) and the TSA allowed it. The lady let me through. Only airport to ever question it around the world.

Considering this tool bag is a compromise between weight/size and functionality, what's your guess for sweet spot size on this application? Like 6"?
I'd say a pair of 5s. I can't think of anything beyond a tank valve needing more torque than you could apply with these. I'll get my sizes tomorrow AM but I don't see them being useful in a dive kit.

Also definitely massive thread drift, but honestly a razor or scissors to cut uppermost portion of mustache so a dive mask has a reliable seal is priceless if a bearded diver was too busy remember that detail...
I don't trim anything above the lip. I do clean up the bits that want to hang over my upper lip because they get in the way and end up being chewed on lol. A proper fitting mask and accepting the fact I'm have to clear a few more times than a smooth faced person is key. I'm not a ccr diver so I don't care about losing loop volume to clearing a leaky mask when I exhale.

Great info in this thread. My kit is constantly evolving. Here's my 2 cents:

1. Thin jaw/Knipex wrenches are great but they are pricey. You can take a discount brand crescent wrench and use an angle grinder or bench grinder to turn it into a thin jaw wrench in a minute. Not as fancy but it does the job and it's no worry if it's lost or gets a bit corroded.

2. One or both of these are really handy for removing stubborn second stage covers:

1673930864185.png

1673930894075.png

3. While having the tools and parts kits on hand to service a regulator in the field is awesome, there is no substitute for having a complete backup regulator system if space allows. It's difficult to anticipate every possible failure and servicing a reg in the field is less than ideal. It's so much quicker and less stressful to simply swap to a backup system if you run into a problem (or hand a complete working reg to a buddy who's having trouble).

For the Knipex fanboys, in the 5" mini pliers, I see a 8603125 model and a 8603125SBA model on different web sites. Any clue what the difference is?

Nice. I'm tempted to go with 2 knipex tools and skip the fixed spanners. Then I have them for other things when not diving.
Better to have one of each. The small sized knipex is perfect for scuba gear, but two can be awkward to use together. You have to squeeze it like a pliers and holding one bolt still while turning the other is simpler with one adjustable wrench in the pair.

Come on down and get your pliers and shifters or whatever generiscism permits and you too can all join this guy

gettyimages-127544381-612x612.jpg

but definitely not in skill nor competence but in name only

but I can show you what I carry in my go bag.
You are the 1st person I would invite on any serious expedition dive trip. That is impressive !!

I may still get a multi-tool but it would probably be something I might put in my pocket in the water in case a dive buddy needs something tightened on an actual dive. I'd prefer to have individual tools in my kit though.
This is the only tool I carry in the water, in titanium. Saved the day for me and others, a few times.

Just don't try to fly back from Mexico with any tools. With all the wrenches and allen keys I've lost down there I could have started an auto repair shop.

I don't know why I keep trying but whatever.

Back
Top Bottom