Took the Plunge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subaquaman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Well I've been saying I'd get an underwater camera for a long time now but this week I've finally done it... as I type a Sea&Sea DX8000G is winging it's way in my direction. :D

Despite being a complete novice to UW Photography and having loads of questions (no doubt you'll see a lot of me in here over the coming months :wink: ) there is one that is plaguing me...

What is the best way to safely secure a camera in a place that is easily reachable but also not in the way. With the type of diving I do, I already have numerous buckles and straps on the chest of my BC as well as an octo stretched across my chest and attached to a d ring and a big dive light hung on my right shoulder. I really don't want to become a Xmas tree diver. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

I have a lanyard that keeps the camera close and when you want to use it, you can release a buckle to get two feet of room to use the camera. When your done, re-attach the buckle. See an example here

Have Fun!

Just in case you don't know this, be sure to hand your camera to a boat hand before jumping into the water and then have them hand the camera to you.

Thanks LGF. My torch is on one of those lanyards and i was aware of the boat etiquette. Any suggestion for best place to stow camera on my gear? I'd rather not have it on my chest, and my pockets are fairly full. I'm thinking along the lines of near the tank.

congrats on the new camera, it really is a good camera for beginners. I have the 5000 and learned by renting the 3000. all the underwater pics in my gallery were taken with either one or the other.

I don't dive with that much tech stuff hanging off me, my octo is even intergrated in my bc. I just use the loop on the camera housing and never let go of the camera. Sometimes resting the strobe in the crook of my hand and laying the rest of the setup along my wrist.

I guess that goes back to the days of renting, if I let go and lost the thing, I'd have to pay for it.

That is a very nice camera to start out with, BUT, Make sure you get the recharble battery. Using AA batteries results in a LONG wait before you can take your next pic

I use one of my lower d-rings on my bcd and keep the camera in my hand at all times (paranoid). I have also used one of my bcd pockets before. As long as you can reach it when you need it, I guess it doesn't matter.

Another thought on the batteries. I found that I can shoot as many pictures as I want for two dives and then change the batteries and I have never ran out of power. Regular alkaline batteries are cheaper and more plentiful than rechargeable.

Just my 2 cents worth!

hi quick question i have trouble seeing the object in the viewfinder any adjustments to recommend
thnx

Back
Top Bottom