Too shallow to get narced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to give it another chance and see how the effect changes depending on circumstances. I barely slept the night before the dive and once at the dive site we made a decision to go deeper all the way to 95. Below that it just drops too fast into nothingness.

Man, I was narced out of my mind, and this time I knew what I was having. It was like looking through the binoculars, and in my ears I could hear some pagan tribes playing their drums, to the point I was going to have a little dance. A mix of mild euphoria, giddiness and weird anxiety, where you know you are in trouble but want to go deeper and deeper. I dropped to the bottom, annoyed that weird fish that is always glued to the bottom, and then began to go ”uphill” to shallower waters. It was fun. My 15-liter tank only lasted me 30 minutes though.

I would not be repeatedly diving to a depth where I felt like I was in a dream state, my limbs were numb and I was made aware of myself performing "significant" activities that were nonsensical and persisted for more than a moment.

I've had my tongue go a little numb, but that is a couple atmospheres past recreational depths. I think people need to be aware of their own limitations, regardless of what some agency recommends.

So I decided to give it another chance and see how the effect changes depending on circumstances. I barely slept the night before the dive and once at the dive site we made a decision to go deeper all the way to 95. Below that it just drops too fast into nothingness.

Man, I was narced out of my mind, and this time I knew what I was having. It was like looking through the binoculars, and in my ears I could hear some pagan tribes playing their drums, to the point I was going to have a little dance. A mix of mild euphoria, giddiness and weird anxiety, where you know you are in trouble but want to go deeper and deeper. I dropped to the bottom, annoyed that weird fish that is always glued to the bottom, and then began to go ”uphill” to shallower waters. It was fun. My 15-liter tank only lasted me 30 minutes though.

No offence meant here, but do you wig out after a few puffs on a joint?

Well, I suppose you could just keep at it and eventually you'll do something stupid or dangerous while you're narced and kill yourself. Or you could, you know, dive responsibly and enjoy it for a long time.

I could hear some pagan tribes playing their drums, to the point I was going to have a little dance.

Were they going to sacrifice you as the chosen virgin?

Not smart. Plus barely sleeping the night before rarely makes for a good dive and could contribute to the narc.

No offence meant here, but do you wig out after a few puffs on a joint?
I do not use drugs, but I am quite sensitive to anything that is mind altering, like benzodiazepines or alcohol, if that is what you mean. Half of a Klonopin pill can knock me out for 12 hours. And I am a pretty big dude, I guess it is just blood chemistry or whatever genetic predisposition

Were they going to sacrifice you as the chosen virgin?
That is a good one. I am a terrible choice for a virgin, but add a couple more atm of pressure, I’d be in paradise I guess.

I did lose my boltsnap with my beautiful steel reel though. No idea how.

You should try a chamber dive to realise how narked you get.

I did one to just 40m/132ft and was off my face as we were all giggling like schoolgirls. Did a small test — add a few numbers, name a couple of rivers beginning with "m", etc. — and like everyone scored very badly and could hardly read my answers.

Eye opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom