Too old to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maqsix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I hadn't dived for 20 years--raising kids, etc. I did a "relearning" pool dive, worrying that I might just be too old now--62. I got in the pool, went down a few feet and started to kick. I didn't go very far, wasn't moving much, and right there decided that I must be too old and weak, maybe I'd just better give up. I was feeling pretty sorry for myself when someone took pity on me and unhooked my tank from the lane rope. Since then, lots of good diving. Chris

:rofl3: I was just about ready to write.... "you're never too old to dive" until I ready your last phase. :D Hate it when that happens!!!:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Hi Chris,

Welcome back!

Diving within your limits and experience always apply. What does your doctor say about your fitness to dive? Maybe you have an old dive buddy in a similar situation that could use a nudge. Good for you coming back. Do you notice your air consumption better than you remember years back? I have a former student with a bad knee and a bit older than you. We worked around it by handing him the BCD once in the water and letting him hand it up before coming up the boat ladder. This took a lot of pressure off of his knee.

Hi Chris,

Welcome back!

Diving within your limits and experience always apply. What does your doctor say about your fitness to dive? Maybe you have an old dive buddy in a similar situation that could use a nudge. Good for you coming back. Do you notice your air consumption better than you remember years back? I have a former student with a bad knee and a bit older than you. We worked around it by handing him the BCD once in the water and letting him hand it up before coming up the boat ladder. This took a lot of pressure off of his knee.
Thanks. I have a lot more problem handling the weight now,; all my diving in the past year has been dry suit diving and I'm just not as free and agile as I was. I need help a lot more, handling the tank, etc but since I only do boat diving I manage ok. I'm going to Cancun/Cozumel this coming weekend and it will be the first warm diving I've done since I learned in Phuket in '84.
I thought about learning nitrox diving to help with energy but my DM said it's not very reliable unless you can afford a gauge and even then...so no. The one thing I've had to relearn, and will again in Mexico will be buoyancy control and weighting. Very different from Channel Island diving I used to do with an 8mm suit, then dry suit diving in Washington.

soon to be 53,,am too old to dive? am i too old to have my harleys? am i too old for ,,well you get the point,,,I say H#$l no,,,,If I feel i can do,,I can do,,,I'm going out happy and having fun....good luck to ya and have fun..

Lt Lynn

Thanks. I have a lot more problem handling the weight now,; all my diving in the past year has been dry suit diving and I'm just not as free and agile as I was. I need help a lot more, handling the tank, etc but since I only do boat diving I manage ok. I'm going to Cancun/Cozumel this coming weekend and it will be the first warm diving I've done since I learned in Phuket in '84.
I thought about learning nitrox diving to help with energy but my DM said it's not very reliable unless you can afford a gauge and even then...so no. The one thing I've had to relearn, and will again in Mexico will be buoyancy control and weighting. Very different from Channel Island diving I used to do with an 8mm suit, then dry suit diving in Washington.

Nitrox is your friend.. and most places are fairly accurate.. most. I highly recommend it.

Enjoy the warm water...

PS... you newbies :shakehead: I was first certified in 67...

Sounds like you will really enjoy warm water diving again. I would consider EANx more for extending your bottom time. Many feel the "less tired" feeling is psychological. Do you feel less tired now that you are diving more frequently? Of course age and health can be a factor, but as you get used to scuba again you will not be working as hard mentally/physically. IMO, this is why new divers are generally so tired after diving. Think of the stimuli they are dealing with all at once (e.g. air consumption, buoyancy, marine life, equalizing, skills performance, following directions, fear...). It takes time to get used to or be reintroduced to such a unique environment. With time back in the water you should feel less tired.

Thanks--I'm in a lot better shape than my doctor! I am a lot skinnier than I used to be and my only physical problem is severe foot arthritis so it hurts to walk--but I still work full time. No knee or back problems, thank the heavens. I don't ride a harley but I am hell on wheels with my 50 cc vespa! (I would love to ride a harley...oh well)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom