Too old to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Task overloading for some, remember to dive within your comfort and experience levels :cool2:

well,,,as they say,,,,if you have to ask why a harley,then you wouldnt understand anyway,,,,,so,,get the harley and ride it to the dive site,,,I do,,,he##,I got 2 ,,,come on,,lets ride....i was gonna quit smoking til I realized that would only give me 10 more years in the old folks home.....

maqsix, are you now dry suit diving in Washington?

I'd HIGHLY recommend getting Nitrox certified, and I can recommend some instructors, if you like. I don't understand your comment about needing a gauge -- You either need a computer that does Nitrox, or Nitrox tables, but they aren't complicated. The shops where I have bought Nitrox have all had analyzers and a log of tanks picked up and their mixes. I own an analyzer, but I have rarely used it at home.

Nitrox really helps with the fatigue and the energy level, at least as far as I (54) and my husband (61) are concerned.

I'd HIGHLY recommend getting Nitrox certified, and I can recommend some instructors, if you like. I don't understand your comment about needing a gauge -- You either need a computer that does Nitrox, or Nitrox tables, but they aren't complicated. The shops where I have bought Nitrox have all had analyzers and a log of tanks picked up and their mixes.

Yeah, just use the shop's analyzer for free. You might also consider diving Nitrox on air tables for the extra margin of safety and so you won't have to buy anything.

Too funny!!!!

To quote my wife, Yellow Angel Fish, "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

It's never too late in life to dive.

I didn't get my instructor's certification until late in my 50's. I'm enjoying every moment of it.

the K

Too old to dive?

My wife got certified this spring in Maui. We did several dives together after her certification. We dove Mala Wharf and she very much enjoyed the white tip sharks. We dove Embassy and even found some Tiger Conch snails. Great experience.

We are diving Catalina Island on the California Coast for Mothers Day. We have 2 weeks booked in Akumal in November.

We still ride the Harley and have put in many 500 mile days.

Oh yeah, she will celebrate her 75th birthday in June.

Life is great.

Whether you believe Nitrox helps with fatigue (I do), or that older folks are more susceptible to DCS (I think we are), or you want to extend your bottom times and/or reduce the risk of DCS, Nitrox makes sense. If nothing else, the course is interesting.

I just finished CCR training (last October), and am looking forward to another year with lots of diving.
Dive safe, learn what you can, and put it into practice, WHILE you can...
Stay within your comfort zone, and NEVER let pride get in the way of good sense.
Getting into better physical shape before diving is wholeheartedly advised.
I will be turning 61 in May...

Whether you believe Nitrox helps with fatigue (I do), or that older folks are more susceptible to DCS (I think we are), or you want to extend your bottom times and/or reduce the risk of DCS, Nitrox makes sense. If nothing else, the course is interesting.

I agree for all your reasons, except the fatigue issue. But that is open to debate. The power of suggestion is indeed very powerful. I teach the PADI EANx course & see it advantageous for several reasons but Chris' dive profiles need to be considered if it is worth it. I am sure it would not hurt.

Most take the EANx course as they get more dives in and hence are not as stimuli overloaded (i.e. taking in so many new things at one time while in an alien environment) as earlier in their diving. So which variable is reducing fatigue? Is it EANx or comfort and familiarity underwater?

Back
Top Bottom