Too Much Wetsuit for SoCal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wetsuit configuration is almost exactly what Dr. Bill uses. Given the importance of fit for staying warm, I had a custom suit made of Yamamoto neoprene by 7till8 in Gardena, CA. I also use an AquaLung 3 mill. super-stretch hooded vest.

I've never been unbearably cold, but I'm from the northeastern US, so my concept of "cold" is much different than these thin-blooded SoCal natives.

I've never been unbearably cold, but I'm from the northeastern US, so my concept of "cold" is much different than these thin-blooded SoCal natives.

Yes, we put on a jacket when it gets below 70. OTOH, the mid-western people start keeling over when it's 95 and we think it's just warming up. We like those 110 degree days when you can stay in the pool all day without getting cold. You won't see many of us wearing a 3mm hood. :wink:

Yes, we put on a jacket when it gets below 70. OTOH, the mid-western people start keeling over when it's 95 and we think it's just warming up. We like those 110 degree days when you can stay in the pool all day without getting cold. You won't see many of us wearing a 3mm hood. :wink:

Nobody from the east coast would call 95 at 25% humidity hot. I've lived in LA county now for 4 years through what for this area are some of the hottest summers on record. This is nothing compared to a Virginia summer. Child's play compared to central Florida... which is insanely hot (e.g., 105 and 90% humidity).

Anyway, this is getting way OT.

I have used a similar product in southern California and central California. If your suit functions as mine did for me, it should be just fine. It will not be too much.

It also depends on where in SoCal you dive. Most of my diving is around Palos Verdes, which averages ten degrees cooler than Orange County and Catalina. I made my first 800 dives in various wetsuit before getting my first drysuit. I doubt I will ever dive wet in California again. My fingers get too cold to push my shutter after an hour in low 50s to upper 40s.

The 7mm farmer john I wear in NorCal is a bit much for SoCal but I wear it anyway. I can zip down the jacket to let water in to cool down if necessary, and it seems to work fine to regulate the temperature. I do get a lot of comments of did you know your jacket isn't zipped up, but I got used to it.

Bob

You can get the Pinnacle for $10 less if you are willing to get a hood, gloves, boots, and hanger with it: Pinnacle Cruiser 7mm Men's Package. I just got that package and will be trying it out this weekend in Pearl Lake, IL. Temperatures in the mid 50s would be high at 80 feet there. I'm also planning to use it when I visit a friend in SoCal this December for Catalina and the oil platforms.

I haven't actually gotten into the water with it (two more days!), but the size charts were spot on and everything fits me like a glove (especially the gloves!) and the hood is the most comfortable I've ever worn. It's snug but I don't feel like it's choking me or raising my blood pressure in my head. Also, it's super warm on dry land.

Everyone is different as far as personal thermal comfort. Unless you are hot in the water and dive without a hood.

get a dry suit. Get a DUi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom