Too much choice!!! Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an Aqualung Titan for my first reg, it was sturdy and has great performance, however, when I went down beyond 70-80 feet I had to breathe harder to compensate with the pressure, so if you really want to do a lotta dives(especially deep ones) you might want to consider maybe the mares v16 proton or apeks.

My family and I were down in Florida over Thanksgiving this year and while we were down there we were able to fit in a day of diving. Both of our dives were in the 70 to 80 foot range. My 15 year old daughter dives a Titan LX. After the dives I asked her if she had to work any harder to breathe at that depth, she replied that she had no difficulty at all with work of breathing. Perhaps the balanced second stage on the LX made it easier for her, if I recall correctly the Titan second stage is unbalanced.

Overall, I think the Titan series of regs are great regs for the money.

I just Taken Delivery of the Apeks ATX200 & my first impression is this is a very cool piece of kit. The build quality is fantastic so I'm very pleased with my choice so far. However I'm going to be useing it for some pool work tonight & 3 dives over the weekend so come monday morning I'll give my report. :doctor:

Cheers for all your help
Stig :)

I think most people are very biased on this subject when it comes to what brand to buy. They will usually tell you what they use is the best. Most people don't have the time or money to try the zillion different regs that are out there. Just pick one you are comfortable with (both monetarily and feel wise) and go diving...:D

I used my new ATX200 for some pool work on friday night & then 2 wreck dives over the weekend. (although the second Dive was cut short due to 30cm Vis. at least I belive it was a wreck lol:confused: )

The regs gave a perfect breath, the main criticism I've heard about the Apeks ATX200 is that there on often on the edge of free flow & are wet when inverted. I found no problems at all with free flow. & I puposfully gave it a good inverted test & it functioned flawlessly. so my rating for this is 100%. Cos I can't fault it.

scubajerr you have a good point & with my limited experience I would fall into the same category & recommend to others the ATX200 because thats all I know. but one thing I can say is if you try one I'm sure you wont be dissapointed.

Thanx everyone for your imput I feel sure I made the right choice & it was only cos of your suggessions. If you read my first post you'll see that the Apeks wasn't even on my list.:wacko: what was I thinking.

Cheers Guys :cool:
Stig

SterlingDiver once bubbled...
...........you can't go wrong with ScubaPro regs.

I did. S550/MK16/R380. I bought the MK16 because I wanted a sealed first stage, and I'm not a fan of turrets.

Within five months I could not get the first stage to hold IP. I tore all three stages down and serviced them, but only made the problem worse. (All the while noting how "plastiky" they were inside, much to my surprise.)

...So I took them to a LDS who was better suited to service them. He promised me $15 per stage, plus parts. $140 (!) later I walked out with the system still refusing to hold IP. He'd tuned the first stage to have an IP of 120 psi... So it would take longer to freeflow. This was obviously not a fix. How frustrating that they thought they could "pull the wool over my eyes" like that. What was worse was the way I was treated, notably because I wore my primary on a long hose. I'll never go in that shop again, that's for sure. And my voice is loud in the local diving community... I can assure you that I attempt to persuade every local diver to avoid that shop.

Luckily, I'd purchased my regs from Leisurepro... (Yes, I hear your groans out there.) Thank GOD I bought my regs from Leisurepro! They accepted the regs back and gave me a full in-store credit... Which I used to purchase an Apeks ATX200 first and second. I followed it up with an ATX50 backup from Diveinn (great price, great service... Leisurepro does not sell an ATX50 second only).

I couldn't be happier. Great regs, great price, great service. They breathe like a dream, and they're solid as a rock. The first stage is simply a piece of art, and it's "directional" hose routing makes my rig even cleaner than it was.

Oh... And the internal components appear to be of much higher quality than the crap I got from Scubapro.

I hear that the MK25/S600 may be better, but unsealed regs don't last long in the local muddy rivers...

I use the ATX 200 and have used it on dives to 15 ft and on dives to over 200 ft. and i have never had a problem with the reg. I chose this reg on my instructors suggestion that i stay with either Apeks, Dive rite, Sherwood, or Scuba Pro. I was looking at poseidon regs for a while and heard that some divers have had the high pressure seat fail in the reg on as little as 10 dives on as new reg. If you are planning to dive all ear round and in cold water, the Apeks is enviro. sealed and has little chance of freezing up on you. I also like the scuba pro regs but have had buddies that have owned them and seen new regs freeze up. This however i believe is rare for scuba pro. However i have never seen or heard of the Atx 200 freezing. If anyone has any experiance with the reg freezing please let me know. I also use Apeks on one of m ystages and it performs wonderfully. \
J.D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom