Too much choice!!! Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stig

Reaction score
Hi

I'm a newbie Diver getting my kit together. :confused: phew!!!

I think I've done ok so far but now I need the all important Regulator & Octopus. So Your recomendations would be good as I'm torn between quite a few.

Heres my situation:
Although I'm new I intend on diving alot & training alot. Although Intend on diving al over the world I live in the UK so 90% of my diving will be here & I wish to dive all year round. I've nearly exhausted my budget on all the other stuff but I don't want to cut courners & need to upgrade in a years time. (cos My wife would kill me:boom: )

the ones I'm thinking about at the momment are
Mares Proton V16
Mares Abyss
Oceanic Alpha 7
Oceanic Gamma2
Aqualung Titan D Glacia

etc.
Cheers

Stig once bubbled...
Hi

the ones I'm thinking about at the momment are
Mares Proton V16
Mares Abyss
Oceanic Alpha 7
Oceanic Gamma2
Aqualung Titan D Glacia

etc.
Cheers

Why not Apeks? They're simple and reliable and they breathe great. By all accounts there's no application that they don't suit. Considering how popular they are with the tekky set over here in NA, I'm wondering why they wouldn't be even more popular "over there".

John F

I suppose it was just that I've not seen much information or reviews on the apeks stuff & I've not found any local dealers that are willing to do a reasonable deal. Which puts the models I'd be interested in out of my price range.

But having said that after reading your reply I set out on a quick mission to find some apex that I could aford & I was suprised to find a good deal wich meant that if I stretch a little bit further I could get the ATX100 & even the ATX200 !!! so I'll add them to my list as well.

So heres the revised list.

Mares Proton V16
Mares Abyss
Oceanic Alpha 7
Oceanic Gamma2
Aqualung Titan D Glacia
Apeks TX100
Apeks TX200

although I was trying to trim my list down (not increase it) my end goal is to get a Reg that I'm realy happy with so thanks for the tip.

I have an Apeks ATX50 and have no problems
with it. If you use the search button
and punch in the 50/100/200 you will find
the price increase for performance is not that
great and a lot of people opt for the 50 if
price is a concern. the performance is
not reduced just a couple of small bells and whistles.

I would have to say go with the apeks. I don't personally dive one on a regular basis but I did buy one for my wife. I did get to try it out and it is a nice reg. Her Atx 40 breathes as well as my scuba pro mk25/2600 and her whole setup was about $400 less than what I paid for mine thanks to a great deal i got from dive inn.

Stig once bubbled...

But having said that after reading your reply I set out on a quick mission to find some apex that I could aford & I was suprised to find a good deal wich meant that if I stretch a little bit further I could get the ATX100 & even the ATX200 !!! so I'll add them to my list as well.

So heres the revised list.

Mares Proton V16
Mares Abyss
Oceanic Alpha 7
Oceanic Gamma2
Aqualung Titan D Glacia
Apeks TX100
Apeks TX200
Well, as I understand it, the differences between the ATX 50 ,100, 200 is absolutely minimal if anything other than a flshy color on the second stage of the reg. Rich Locklyer here on the board seems to know all about the Apeks line of regs...you might want to ask him a few questions about them.

FWIW I've heard nothing bad about the Apeks's or the SP mk25/600 set-ups.

Go with the Apeks, I have an ATX200 and my wife has an ATX50, they both breathe the same, so if your looking to keep costs under control, I'd go with the ATX50. Although, I do also own an Aqualung Legend LX, Legend and Titan LX, my legends breathe as well as my Apeks and the Titan breathes quite well too.

Good luck in deciding

I like the Apeks regs, but I like my Aqualung Titan just as much, and it was quite a bit less expensive than my Apeks.

I personally wouldn't buy any of the others on your list, but that's just my opinion. At the risk of adding to your list, the Aqualung Legend is a dream to breathe at any depth, and it comes with environmentally sealed first stage standard (pay extra for that on the Titan). The Apeks are sealed. If you plan to dive in cold waters, sealed is a good option to have.

theskull

As others have said go with the Apeks ATX 50 (or TX50) if buying used.
They are very common in the UK and a better buy over there than here. ( Canada)

I would recomend getting the ATX 50 as your octopus as well. Some recomend the ATX 40 or 20 but they do not have the lever to set the initial cracking resistance so they must be detuned so they won't free flow as easily.

The Mares Abyss is also a very good reg if you run across and good deal. Make sure you have a knowledgable dive shop to overhaul these for you. I personally will not by a reg online.

GooD Luck

Gary

mcrae once bubbled...
As others have said go with the Apeks ATX 50 (or TX50) if buying used.
They are very common in the UK and a better buy over there than here. ( Canada)

I would recomend getting the ATX 50 as your octopus as well. Some recomend the ATX 40 or 20 but they do not have the lever to set the initial cracking resistance so they must be detuned so they won't free flow as easily.

The Mares Abyss is also a very good reg if you run across and good deal. Make sure you have a knowledgable dive shop to overhaul these for you. I personally will not by a reg online.

GooD Luck

Gary

I've bought all of my family's regs at one of the LDS in my area (he actually gave me prices that just about matched the prices I could get at LP or DiveInn) but it can't hurt to keep ypur eye's open for a good deal online, I recently picked up a six month old Aqualung Legend, with octo, guages and compass for $175, I had it serviced at my LDS, paid the $32 for parts and still came out way ahead on the deal.

Back
Top Bottom