Too many subforums

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkullDeformity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The recent addition of yet MORE subforms seems to be incredibly unnecessary.
A few of these forums have very minimal posts, or none at all. Do we really need that many subforms for photography? Or an entire forum to "going pro" ? I don't recall seening a need for such a thing. There could easily be a "random" or "general discussion" board about ANYTHING that could encompass all questions not easily catagorized, if they didn't already fit into basic discussion.

There are also barely any stickies. The same questions are literally asked every day, and to the credit of this forum, are answered almost without fail. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a simple FAQ with answers to such threads as paddle v split, backplate v vest, etc. You don't have to be afraid of having some stickies, they do serve the purpose of protecting internet sanity.

NewsFlash: The number of subforums varies in time. :)

Occasionally, new forums get created due to demand or because they are deemed necessary by SB Staff. On the other hand, if a forum fails to stay active, it is likely to disappear.

You also know that you can exclude forums from "New Posts"?
That way, all you see is what you want to see. You can do this through Edit Options >> Exclude Forums from "Get New Posts".

Looking at the mound of subforums doesn't bother me, the option to not view some fourms does not address this. What chance does a question have of being answered if it's in a subforum of a subforum that nobody ever checks? The more exposure a question has, the more likely it will be answered. While it's nice to see moderators and administrators active and reacting to the needs of the users, not every suggestion has to be acted on.

A prime example of a forum that is unnecessary of the "passings" forum. Before, divers who had died for whatever reason were placed in the accident forum. If it was not an accident, simply basic discussion was used. It's not like we have people dying in droves, and need an entire forum for the purpose.

SkullDeformity:
A prime example of a forum that is unnecessary of the "passings" forum. Before, divers who had died for whatever reason were placed in the accident forum. If it was not an accident, simply basic discussion was used. It's not like we have people dying in droves, and need an entire forum for the purpose.

Actually, that subforum was created after it was realized that A&I threads are at times completely jammed up with people passing condolences and not discussing the A/I..

Now, that being said, its very helpful to have a place for people to put their thoughts and wishes that isn't over riding a discussion about the incident. :)

SkullDeformity, you're new on the board here - and I hope you're enjoying it, but this is the biggest one of its kind in the world and almost all these sub-forums are needed. I can think of a couple in Singles forum that are not, and perhaps there are others to be culled, but the recent change in A&I really was needed.

I am happy to see some of the sub forums. There are a lot of members/users here. There will always be discussion of what forums are and are not necessary. If you are bored you can spend many hours reading those long and at times heated debates about the topic.

But SB is the most successful diving board out there.

Cheers

Steve

SkullDeformity:
The recent addition of yet MORE subforms seems to be incredibly unnecessary.
A few of these forums have very minimal posts, or none at all. Do we really need[...] an entire forum to "going pro" ? I don't recall seening a need for such a thing.
I am grateful for the subforums, as I only read certain of them. Some of the ones with low traffic are some of the ones I value most.

As for the "Going Pro" subforum you mention, it likely has minimal posts because it just got here, and I am quite looking forward to getting to have some discussions in it (as soon as I'm allowed -- too bad getting my PSI VCI/ECT doesn't count as starting DM). If you don't see a need for it, it's because you haven't been reading the threads on which the "need" was discussed at length.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if there were ever to be added a way to hide some forums from myself on the main forums page, but it's not too big a bother to scroll, even if once in a while the list jumps around a bit. :D

You can hide forum categories, but that's all.

SkullDeformity:
There are also barely any stickies. The same questions are literally asked every day, and to the credit of this forum, are answered almost without fail. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a simple FAQ with answers to such threads as paddle v split, backplate v vest, etc. You don't have to be afraid of having some stickies, they do serve the purpose of protecting internet sanity.

This sort of FAQ would be a wonderful thing to have, are you volunteering? If you will sort through the threads and direct link to (best way) or copy/paste (include the author's screen name) the most helpful parts into topic threads of your own I'll be happy to do the admin stuff needed to make them stickies. Just let me know when you start and PM me when you're ready to have them looked at.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom