Too easy to become a DM??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it's too easy to become a DM. I finished my DM program in May and it wasn't easy. Of course my instructor was very good. There were 2 of us that went through it together. I made it, he didn't. The instructor would not sign off on his paperwork because he just didn't have the skills to be a DM. I think a big part of the problem with bad DM's is bad training. It's like any other dive certification. Good instructors turn out good divers, bad instructors don't. I was trained on academics, assisting students, leadership and problem solving. If he felt I lacked skills in any area we worked on it. It took me 4 months to get through the program. Some shops in my area would get you through it in a matter of a few weeks. I think another big aspect of it is what is the persons motivation for the training. If it's just to call yourself a DM then I doubt you would ever be a good one. My motivation was to further my training and work as a DM. Since I finished I haven't missed a classroom session or a pool session. I enjoy the hell out of training new divers and working with skill reviews and advanced classes. I love helping people become better divers and I've made some great friends in the process.

I do think the entry level prerequisites are a little lame. I entered the program with over 150 dives in cold water, limited vis, night diving, warm water, boat diving, diving in current, diving with newbies ect... I don't think 60 dives is enough.

I also have a beef with getting the DM certification and going right into IDC. I think you should have to work as a DM for a year first. Not just have the card.

Scott

Scottri once bubbled...
I also have a beef with getting the DM certification and going right into IDC. I think you should have to work as a DM for a year first. Not just have the card.

Scott

I'll give an "attaboy" to that also. The DM stage is where you pick up the student inaction, what works, what doesn't.
Good point.

Phil

Scottri once bubbled...

I do think the entry level prerequisites are a little lame. I entered the program with over 150 dives in cold water, limited vis, night diving, warm water, boat diving, diving in current, diving with newbies ect... I don't think 60 dives is enough.

Scott
Would also agree heartily on that. I Dm'ed for almost five years before i did the instructor thing. It helped a lot! It really showed in the candidates in my IE that did not have that much experience in assisting OW training.

A couple of them who had been OW certified just one year earlier, were really lost when presented with student problems they would have experienced many times, had they Dm'ed a couple years.

MechDiver once bubbled...

The DM card is also the same as an OW card. It allows you to learn how to be a DM, it doesn't really make you one.

Phil

Stated more than once in numerous threads, but well worth repeating....And if I can be so bold to say this also applies to instructors.........:boom:

Butch103 once bubbled...

And if I can be so bold to say this also applies to instructors.........:boom:

On the island I did most of my DMing on, novice instructors were required to perform 4 OW or AOW classes under the supervision of a more senior instructor, and use senior DMs. Raised some hackles, but was a good requirement IMO.

Phil

I don't actively market the DM program. IMO, a person must decide that they want it. I don't accept everyone. In fact I discourage most. I used to sell it like any other class but no more.

I love the idea of an Instructor internship. That was a requirement with our DM training. We had to participate in at least 2 open water classes under direct supervision. I worked with a few different instructors and still do. It's interesting to see different techniques.

I'll bet having a few senior DM's working with new Instructors raised a few hackles :D . I work with one new instructor sometimes and have to point out ways to do things, like basic navigation. She is very receptive to different methods but with some new instructors there is a big ego thing working. Our new DM's always work under supervision until the staff (DM's and Instructors) agree that they are ready. I wasn't offended and most DM's aren't. The ones that are get weeded out pretty early. We just got rid of one that was more interested in the social aspects of being a DM and not student safety or helping the instructor. Don't get me wrong, the social side of it is great but the rest of us were always picking up the slack with students and we felt that we had to be watching her as well as the students and none of the DM's in training felt comfortable with her ablility to handle problems (she wasn't trained by our shop).

Anyway, I always take dive certifications at face value until I have done some diving with the person. I can't tell you how many stupid comments and stories I've heard from "pros" that just made my skin crawl.

Scott

"The DM card is also the same as an OW card. It allows you to learn how to be a DM, it doesn't really make you one."

"this also applies to instructors"

This explains why we have so many incompetent DM's and instructors.

I strongly disagree with the concept. If someone is not a competent DM or instructor they should not get the card.

I also strongly disagree with the idea that the "primary purpose of the divemaster course is to prepare someone for being an instructor" There are people who make excellent DM's, but terrible instructors and vice versa. They are two totally different jobs. AI's should be assisting with classes. DM's have a totally different job.

I had to do a "SCUBA Instructor Internship" when I became an Instructor. I took the ITC at the University so, it was a lot more thorough than a shop class. I probably worked with at least 200 different students before finishing up the ITC. I think this really is the way to do it. When I finially started teaching on my own, I was pretty squared away. I had a good foundation to build on as a result.

I do think that it is too easy to get a DM card, I've seen some crazy people with them. I don't really give much stock to any certification until I see them in the water.

Walter once bubbled...
[BI also strongly disagree with the idea that the "primary purpose of the divemaster course is to prepare someone for being an instructor" There are people who make excellent DM's, but terrible instructors and vice versa. They are two totally different jobs. AI's should be assisting with classes. DM's have a totally different job. [/B]

Not according to any agency I have seen. You have to be a DM before you can take an ITC. The purpose of the DM is to teach you the skills necessary to be an instructor. The ITC teaches you how to teach, you are expected to have the dive skills already.

The AI position is a waste of time and a waste of money.

Sure DMs have a different job, because they're not instructors. But the duties and skills overlap quite a bit. Or should anyway.

Back
Top Bottom