Too bright for monitor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miked

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,
I tried a "search" but coulnd't find anything, so here's my situation:

I have a new (just purchased) Oly C4040 with Oly PT-010 housing, set to go to Grand Cayman next week.
I tired it out in a backyard pool (4'max), and it worked fine, with one exception:
When in bright sun, and at those very shallow depths, I could not see the monitor-the brightness "bleached out (?)" the display. I had to guess/hope what was in the frame. Of course, it was somewhat less of a problem "in shadows"-still extremely shallow.
My question: Does this happen at greater depths, (it can be pretty bright ) and if so what can be done about it?

Thanks,
Mike

At depth this really isn't a problem. In shallower depths it can be, especially on bright sunny days. Shading the monitor with your left hand helps. But basicall just aim the camera and take lots of pictures! :eek:ut:

There have been several hoods on the market but none have them work very well, if at all, for underwater. Although I have read references to a neoprene one for one of the PT cases but I haven't been able to find out much about it.

Maybe Allen can enlighten us on this....

Hi Mike and Dee,

I had the same experience when I first tried the OlyPT-007 and c3000z and pretty much the same on the PT-010. You're rigth Mike, on shallow depth and bright condition it will be difficult to see what exactly you're looking @ the monitor.

From my experience, I find it helpful if you change your contrast/brightness setting on the c4040z on shallow dive. Yes, it's another step to do but right now the only thing that I can think of that's going to solve this problem is a rubber hood.

One of the reason why it's hard to view the LCD of the PT-010 on shallow dive is the fact that the housing is clear. Light can pass through the front, top and back of the housing. I have been experimenting and testing a rubber hood from the PT-009 case and I think it works. One problem I encountered which I think is not really a big deal is the velcro. The velcro that I used didn't really do the job. After 30 mins in the water, the velcro on the rubber LCD hood came loose off the back of the housing :( the good news though is the hood works. I tested it in the pool and took it down to 6 feet "no problem"

anyway, I'll keep you guys posted on the rubber hood.

I think I mentioned adjusting your monitor contrast/brightness in the PM. If I didn't I should have!

Dee and UWdigital,
As always, thanks for the advice!!
Dee, in your PM you did mention adjusting the monitor contrast!
It is something I will keep in mind if/when the situation arises.
thanks again,
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom