Too big for the garage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vshearer

Contributor
Reaction score
Bauer K20 in VA
Anyone need one? I also see a lot of SW flamethrower compressors for sale on here, anyone ever converted one of those?

Bargain Marge (protecair.com) is a source of conversion parts and info for the SW. The Honda 5 hp OHC (black engine) is the usual replacement power. DA Aquamaster uses. One issue for gas engine is to fabricate a snorkel type intake with filter and hose for the pump.

Not gonna work at home.

1) A 5hp gas engine is not going to run a 20cfm compressor - no way.

2) That compressor block with a Bauer frame and electric 3phase motor is about 1,000 lbs. Diesel has gotta be even heftier. Did you plan on building a garage around it??

3) Unless you live in a commercial district you can't get 3phase power at a residence. And there's no way to get a single phase motor big enough to run that (~15hp).

The K20 is a BIG machine! And mounted with that diesel engine, filtering, bottles and a fill panel, you are looking at taking out one car space of your garage. But at $50 why not!!:D

You can make 3 phase power from single phase source with the use of a variable frequency drive. You can read more about them on Wikipedia.. and there are always a few for sale on Ebay. Just make sure you purchase one specifically designed to be powered from single phase.

Not gonna work at home.

1) A 5hp gas engine is not going to run a 20cfm compressor - no way.

2) That compressor block with a Bauer frame and electric 3phase motor is about 1,000 lbs. Diesel has gotta be even heftier. Did you plan on building a garage around it??

3) Unless you live in a commercial district you can't get 3phase power at a residence. And there's no way to get a single phase motor big enough to run that (~15hp).

I think pescador was talking about the little SW compressors, NOT this one.

You could rig up a small diesel to work on it if you don't have 3 phase power. Or put on a smaller single phase motor and just run it slower.

How in the heck would you fill tanks without a cascade system on that thing anyway? Yeah, lemme fill up your AL80 in 3 minutes flat!

You'd definitely need some storage, otherwise you could fry an egg on a bottle if you filled it directly.

I don't see compressors on that site go for very good deals anyway. By the time you pay taxes, a percentage to the auction site and shipping if need be, it gets costly.

I just bought a new compressor that has a 7.5 HP three phase that I need to replace with a single phase. I though about going the inverter route, but they cost as much as a new motor and it is just something else to break.

You'd definitely need some storage, otherwise you could fry an egg on a bottle if you filled it directly.

I don't see compressors on that site go for very good deals anyway. By the time you pay taxes, a percentage to the auction site and shipping if need be, it gets costly.

I just bought a new compressor that has a 7.5 HP three phase that I need to replace with a single phase. I though about going the inverter route, but they cost as much as a new motor and it is just something else to break.

If your unit uses a starter (contactor with overload relay) you will have to replace that as well. Don't know what brand of drive you were pricing (Baldor etc.), but Leeson makes a nice unit, without all the bells and whistles, for a good price. To operate on single phase you will need to oversize the drive.

We use inverter drives for our CY-5NMS (nitrox membrane system). This way we can use a 5hp screw compressor for membrane air supply for both a 5hp and 7.5hp, h.p. compressor. We can run at full speed when making 32% and slow the compressor down for 36% on the 7.5hp.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom