Tom's new Voit UDTs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The orange hoses were probably the standard mustard yellow hoses common then. They are awfull hard to come by now. Black hoses are not a problem, yellow, well, there is this fellow in England who makes them but who knows when he might make another run. The yellow as it becomes old and aged becomes a darker color. I don't remeber orange though but I guess it was possible.Other hoses colors were gray, seafoam green and dark grey. Voit used the greens and grays often, USD, black and yellow generally.
Again, if you want a regulator to dive with those neat finsyou have then I still suggest a lat Royal AquaMaster or DA AquaMaster as parts are easily gotten at reasonable costs. Better jump on those banjo bolts (for spg) while you can or maybe your dad has a few originals laying around somewhere? Hey good luck with those fins, maybe you will become a vintage diver, the present is the key to the past and the simplicity of the past is the future. Imagine flying behind a scooter, no stupid BC, wings, jackets, hoses, consoles, danglies, stage bottles, scissors, extra everything, yep. N

The banjos that are being made now are super quality and very reliable. The Trieste has LP and HP ports as well. Problem with the Snark is that it does not breath as well as a Royal, so have been told repeatdly but since I have never used one I just go on the valued opinions of those who have. As has been said, Nemrod equipemnt was never top of the line, in the 50s and 60s it was Voit and USD, Nemrod was kinda odd stuff I remember, I have a set I bought mowing lawns, it did not work to good then and compared to my Calypso and USD set it was soon retired to the attic where I think it may still reside. It was a single hose unit that breathed like sucking through a garden hose--lol. N

I finally did a dive with the fins. They are still a nuisance to put on in the boat, and they are an even royaller pain to get off in the water, but the propulsive effort is amazing. Total, absolute stiffness - no wasted fin flexing - just pure power.
The thin neoprene socks that I have to wear under the fins compressed down to norhing so I had no foot squeeze like I was getting in the pool doing tuning laps. Without regular conditioning, these fins will cramp your legs in no time flat.
I'm gonna try them on the Hydro Atlantic tomorrow if the boat runs. After that, I'm thinking that from the running freediving ascent from 40 feet, I might finally be able to completely come out of the water.

The stiffness produces great manuverability I think. They are fast too if you have the muscle to push them. Yes, they do tend to cramp but nonetheless I find cramping with them less of a problem than with Jets (for me). Perhaps some day we will get modern UDTs in a full foot, classic foot and open heel for you spring strap guys, until then I will have to make do with the ones I got. N

There was a full foot version that US Divers had, the blade was very similar but a tad shorter.
Hey, anybody in the Sacramento area is welcome to borrow a pair to try out; I also have the "regular" non-UDT version that are popular with the boogie-boarder crowd.
Might even have some Churchills. :wink:
Hmmm... maybe a vintage dive get-together may be in order?
I'll be back in CA/Sacto come September.
Come to think of it, one of the board members here (or maybe the Decostop) swapped me a couple pairs of UDTs for some gloves.

It really is a lot of fun to be a contrarian. Why follow all the rules when you don't have to. That everyone on the planet with a stage bottle uses Jetfins is all I need not to. I cannot follow, I make my own way. The UDT fins fit my diving style, they are fast, durable, capable and simple.
In this pic I am diving a square label Royal AquaMaster (around 66), Sportsways Sea Vue SPG also from the 60s, old Voit depth guage (circa 66) with compass, UDT fins (new reproduction) vintage Dacor 6 inch oval mask (circa late 60s). BC? I don't need no stupid, stinking BC. The back pack is an old Voit Snugpack (60s) with a 1968 steel USD 72 cf tank with J valve and on my leg not visible is a huge SeaHawk knife more than a foot long and also quite old and with all that I am solo as well. This is fun! N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom