Tom Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIP. I first met Tom in 1995 while diving the Reef Cat off Pompano. Could not have been friendlier, a true gentleman. Over the years I had the opportunity to run into him from time to time, on dive boats, at tradeshows and the such. Last time we spoke was in 2017 at the IANTD headquarters.

He was a trail blazer, he will be missed

My favorite memory of Tom was at Little River. We were cave diving in two different teams. Tom was doing some Jean-Claude Van Damme type stretching before donning his rebreather as he was a long-time martial artist. A young, pretty brunette with amazing legs caught our attention as she walked over to the top of the steps leading down to the spring. She took one look at the site and remarked, "OMG! I can't go down there. I'll never be able to walk back up all those steps!"

Tom and I exchanged a look of disbelief and disappointment in today's youth. The expression on his face was priceless. The thought still makes me laugh. He was right up there with Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin when it came to Oscar worthy facial expressions.

:-( RIP Tom.

001 (5).jpg

I never heard of Tom Mount but it sounds like any rec diver who dives nitrox owes him at least a small debt.

That Wikipedia page needs some help, though. @АлександрД or @Roz , would you be willing to license your pictures? I can walk you through it. I'm not an official Wikipedia anybody, but I've been an editor for a long time and can help get that article in shape. At the moment it looks like it may be in danger of getting deleted altogether. If anyone has links to news stories about him, you can DM me or post them here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom