Tom Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIP, Tom.

Bummer. I really wanted to meet him. He had a good run. RIP

I remember first meeting Tom at the DEMA Show in 1999. He was supportive of my work from day one. I have been struck at just how many female divers have all said the same thing about Tom. He really encouraged me, pushed me, challenged me. The world, especially the tech diving world is much poorer for his passing. He was hugely instrumental in this aspect of our sport. Wrote the book - several books - on it. What an icon. As the Aussies would say "Vale Tom".

Attachments

• rosemary-e-lunn_roz-lunn_dive-girl-magazine_tom-mount_iantd_dema-show_1999_scuba-diving.jpg
    rosemary-e-lunn_roz-lunn_dive-girl-magazine_tom-mount_iantd_dema-show_1999_scuba-diving.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Tom-Mount_Rosemary-Lunn_Roz-Lunn.jpg
    Tom-Mount_Rosemary-Lunn_Roz-Lunn.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 87
I just saw this and replied on another forum, but we're blessed in the tech and cave diving communities to have some of the bravest, interesting and unique people that we sometimes get to meet and know.
At a NACD seminar some years ago, Tom and I somehow got into a quick discussion about religion, DNA and genealogy. He was blowing my mind with some of his comments and insights.
I remember seeing a photo of Tom taken in the 1970s I believe at some martial arts event. Tom was wearing just jeans and had long hair. He reminded me of a combination of Jacques Cousteau, Bruce Lee and the Billy Jack character.

Sorry to hear of Tom Mount’s passing. He was one of the pioneers of tech diving and many of us owe a lot to him. My condolences to his wife, family and friends.

Fair winds and following seas.

IANTD trained 24yrs ago, very sad indeed.
RIP.

Back
Top Bottom