Today's lesson, courtesy Mother Ocean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy:
My mask almost never leaks, but it was leaking up a flood a few dives ago. I figured out that if I lower the strap behind my head an inch or so, the leak stops. It boggles me that it would work, but it does...

I'm sissy when it comes to mask skills- I'm always afraid that if I get a full flood, that I'll get an instant brain freeze. And, I shut my eyes when the mask is off. That's in fresh water too.

Anyhow, nice work surviving the super high intensity training. Now you're ready for Mother Ocean's next test...

Losing a mask in cold water is an unpleasant feeling. In really cold water it WILL momentarily knock the wind out of you and there's nothing you can do about that. But, I think it's important to know that though it's an unpleasant feeling that it can't hurt you. Open your eyes, get situated, get your bearings, communicate and then replace the mask. The priorities need to be that way. Replacing the mask comes last while controling position and buddy contact is first. Like they say in aviation...aviate, navigate and communicate.

I guess I should point out that I can do the skills without problem, I just don't look forward to it. I do open my eyes briefly to make sure everything is as I expect it.

I agree, replacing and clearing the mask is the last priority, espcially if you are still breathing from a reg.

do it easy:
My mask almost never leaks, but it was leaking up a flood a few dives ago. I figured out that if I lower the strap behind my head an inch or so, the leak stops. It boggles me that it would work, but it does...

I'm sissy when it comes to mask skills- I'm always afraid that if I get a full flood, that I'll get an instant brain freeze. And, I shut my eyes when the mask is off. That's in fresh water too.

Anyhow, nice work surviving the super high intensity training. Now you're ready for Mother Ocean's next test...

I had a similar problem with my current mask. I used one of those mask strap covers and had a continuous leak. Once I tossed the cover, the leak went away. Just something about how the mask sits on the face, I guess.

My wife has to stick her face in the water before dives to acclimate herself before the dive. For some reason it doesn't bother me.

As for opening my eyes in water, I can do it in fresh water, but not in sea water. That just burns too much.

Dive-aholic:
I had a similar problem with my current mask. I used one of those mask strap covers and had a continuous leak. Once I tossed the cover, the leak went away. Just something about how the mask sits on the face, I guess.

Funny that you mention that, since my mask was fine until I got a slap strap, which is a strap/cover combo- the cover can't be removed.

Interesting comments, because I have a slap strap on both of my masks, and both of them have a very small, slow leak.

Mike, the rattle is precisely what I need to get rid of. I just got off the phone with my regular dive buddy, and told him that every dive we do has to involve some mask off swimming.

I actually do okay with the mask off and my eyes open. What rattles me is that I close my eyes to blow the air into the mask to clear it, and when I reopen them expecting to be able to see and I can't, I get very stressed.

Gotta get rid of the rattle. I like that, Mike.

I personally am learning to hate masks.

Dove the first 15 dives last week no problem not even seepage. Next three dives this same mask leaks continuously - almost threw the thing at the boat on the last dive it was so frustrating. Could not find anything wrong changed strap lengths, position, checked for hair, cracks etc. finally switched to my backup - no problem for the rest of the week 10 more dives. This is the same backup mask that leaked every other dive a couple of months ago so I bought a new one?????

Did I say I am learing to hate masks:D

TSandM:
I know I've just gone off the edge of the wall, and I don't know how deep the bottom is, and I certainly don't know what's happening as far as depth or orientation in the water.

Good post as usual and it reminds me that I should take the mask off more often (not all that pleasant for me up here) and good points regarding panic possibly never being that far away under the right circumstances and the thought process required to keep it in check.

I just wanted to comment on your statement above if I read it the correct way. You should know what depth you expect the bottom of a wall to be at even if you don't intend to go there. Maybe you do know and just meant that without a cleared mask you didn't know where you were. I'm not posting to be critical but just to add to the learning process since you've offered up your experience for that purpose. The way I might react in a similar situation to the one you describe might vary depending on if the bottom of the wall was 100 fsw as at Day Island or 700 feet as are some at Whytecliff Park near Vancouver, B.C.

In general, I'm just trying to add to the discussion that a good understanding of the dive site by everyone involved may have many unexpected benefits.

As everyone has mentioned it sounds like you handled it well.

but why is the mask not clearing?

TSandM:
I actually do okay with the mask off and my eyes open. What rattles me is that I close my eyes to blow the air into the mask to clear it, and when I reopen them expecting to be able to see and I can't, I get very stressed.

I don't close my eyes when I clear the mask. I don't try to clear it fast or in one breath either. I maintain my breathing so as to control buoyancy/position control and just exhale out my nose with each breath. It might take several breaths to clear a completely flooded mask, especially if it isn't a very low volume mask. I keep my eyes on my visual references, buddy and I like to watch the water level go down in the mask. LOL

catherine96821:
but why is the mask not clearing?

Sounds like there was a leak that wasn't being addressed because Lynne didn't know where the leak was coming from. I've had a similar problem with water not purging from my mask. The water was being purged, but more water was entering the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom