Today I failed to deploy the SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johanan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In summer I got a new SMB with a blow tube.
I deployed it in 15*C/59*F - no problem.
I did it in 10/50 - so so...
Today I tried it in 5/41 - no way! My lips were too numb to seal around the tube. Are there any tricks for that or must I get another SMB with a different inflation method? I don't find apealing the idea of connecting it to the inflator hose or going back to an open bottom model and inflate it with the reg. How practical are these little compresed air capsules I have seen with some buoys? Not in my area, though. I observed some divers having an extra hose with a flexible nozzle which releases air when you bend it. How safe is it? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Try one last time with your current SMB -bite down and hold
Today I tried it in 5/41 - no way! My lips were too numb to seal around the tube. Are there any tricks for that or must I get another SMB with a different inflation method? I don't find apealing the idea of connecting it to the inflator hose or going back to an open bottom model and inflate it with the reg. How practical are these little compresed air capsules I have seen with some buoys? Not in my area, though. I observed some divers having an extra hose with a flexible nozzle which releases air when you bend it. How safe is it? Any recommendations? Thanks!
Bite & hold the tube with your molars and seal it out of the corner of your mouth, then try inflating the SMB.

I love the Halcyon (and now some people's copies of it) SMB/Lift Bag inflator valves.

Big register for your numb lips, no external moving parts, just bring it towards your frozen mouth and breath out into it.

_R

I use an AP SMB with a crack bottle. Overseas I replace the bottle in a drysuit inflation hose and nipple. Both work very well, but the bottle is quite large. I use the co2 ones for a backup, they also work quite well but the SMBs are smaller. Both co2 and crack bottle are a bit fiddly, especially with gloves. My GF uses a standard DSMB but with the flexible nozzle you mention. That works well too. It has the advantage of being cheap and easy to try out.

The co2 and crack bottle solutions help to reduce the chance of a free flow. At those temperatures that is a proper risk.

What's wrong with an open bottom the seals itself. Simple and works good.

Well, I still have not learned to deploy this model with one hand. More hassle with unclipping the reg and filling the buoy.

I love the Halcyon (and now some people's copies of it) SMB/Lift Bag inflator valves. Big register for your numb lips, no external moving parts, just bring it towards your frozen mouth and breath out into it._R

I've got this one from Innovative Scuba Concepts. It has a valve but not this flat ring as the Halcyon one. May be this detail makas the difference. I'll look, whether I can install one on mine. Thanks!

Try one last time with your current SMB -bite down and hold

Bite & hold the tube with your molars and seal it out of the corner of your mouth, then try inflating the SMB.

Thanks! I'll got to get some teeth implantates, I'm afraid, but I'll try it next time! :)

I observed some divers having an extra hose with a flexible nozzle which releases air when you bend it. How safe is it? Any recommendations? Thanks!

It's what I use, it works great. The only problem is that under pressure, the nozzle can easily be popped off if you snag the ring on the inflator hose quick disconnect. Just bungee the nozzle to the hose so you don't lose it.

Back
Top Bottom