Tobago Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dived both ends of Tobago and in my opinion the better end of the island for diving is Speyside, although it is in general more advanced diving. I dived with "Extra Divers" at the Speyside Inn, which I found to be fine. If you are looking for something more upmarket you could choose the "Blue Waters Inn" I think they also used to have an onsite dive operator but I'm not sure that's still the case, but I'm sure "Extra Divers" would pick you up in the mornings in their truck. Be aware that the Speyside end of the island is very quite and and apart from diving and walking there is not much to do and limited bars and restaurants to choose from.
I also dived with "Extra Divers" at the "Crown Point" end of the island but I'm not sure they still operate there. The diving was good but not in the same class as at Speyside, however there is more to do at that end of the island which is why I did a split vacation 5 days at Speyside and 3 at Crown point. Where ever you stay I would recommend you rent a car for at least some of the time if you want to see the whole island which is very beautiful and lush with tropical wildlife.
During the rainy season the visibility can drop due to the river wash out from Venezuela, however I'm told that due to nutrients in the water this is also the best time to see Manta Rays, which I did.

So to sum I would say that Tobago is a great dive destination that should be on every divers wish list. If you are a more advanced diver and want to see Manta Rays and other larger stuff I would suggest the Speyside end of the island, and dive around "Little Tobago". It is Atlantic diving but with a Caribbean influence, very nice :)!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom