To weight or not to weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's my instant PPB class in a box:

Get your weighting down as low as possible. Ideally with about 500 PSI in your tank at 10 feet you should be able to sink with an exhilaration and gently rise with an inhalation.

Use your BC or Wing as an elevator. Put short bursts into the vest. When you just start to move up, hold the inflator hose as far down (deep) as you are able. Now hold the oral inflation button open. Bring the hose up (shallower) until air just starts to flow out of the mouthpiece, then lower it a tiny bit till it just stops. You know have an air siphon from your vest that you can use to control your ascent rate with amazing precision. The only problem is that the direction is counterintuitive, you must raise the mouthpiece up to slow or stop and lower it down to speed up. Remember to keep it OPEN ALL THE TIME

When I did my first pool session in a saltwater pool I started on the formula - resulting in 10 kilos of weight. I went down like a rock. Second try, reduced to 8, then 6.

In a freshwater environment I am down to 4 weights and still a bit too heavy.

Just continue to focus on what you really want to achieve. Being a diver is absolutely no joke. It's not easy at all to have that kind of discipline in order to be a good diver. Considering your statement, I'm pretty sure that you'll be a best professional diver soon!

I notice that many divers often overweight themselves and this shocks me when i dive with them. I use about 1 weight with jacket style BCDs and none with Back Plate BCDs.

I guess at the end of the day, it really depends on how comfortable the person is underwater with a certain amount of weights. The main issue here is that divers should learn how to release their weight in the event of an emergency! Case studies tell us that many divers drown with their weight belt still attached to them.

Of course, once releasing the weight belt, divers must prepare for an uncontrolled ascent, which may lead to other problems such as DCS or Lung Over-expansion Injuries.

I got certified in high school (19 years ago) and have been an on-and-off diver over the years. These days, I mostly do shore dives in MA and mostly catch lobsters and shoot the occasional fish. 6-8 dives a year if I’m lucky.

These boards have been fantastic for me. Because I’ve always felt comfortable in the water and never been in a panic or near-panic situation, I realize I’ve probably not been the safest diver. I’m definitely a ‘newbie’ (esp. compared to Betty) because of all of the common body of knowledge (assembled here) that I realize I either forgot, haven’t practiced in forever, of just plain never knew.

The comfort I used to feel as a diver has been reduced – in a good way. No question I’m dedicating some time to dialing in my buoyancy my next time out. The inflator/elevator trick is pretty sweet as well – gotta try that. Was also thinking an Advanced cert. might be a good idea as well. Very glad I found discussions like these. Thanks.

Not only know how to drop your weight belt, but also know where the releases are on your BCD. I can't tell you how many people will jump off of a boat or a platform without knowing where their dive buddies releases are and more so their own releases. This is one of the safety checks you should go through before you dive, BCD, Weights, Releases, Air, and final overall check.

Been waiting for someone to say this. Part of the WeBARF check. Even if I've been diving with the same buddy(s) all week, I still take the time at the beginning of every dive to not only reach down and feel the mechanism for my weight release, but also physically touch the releases for my buddy(s). To me this is one of the most critical things you can do before a dive.

i did my ballast in a pool with a 500 lb tank

You are one tough dude. How long can you stay down with that?

:rofl3:

Very good points to listen to. I'm in the same mode right now and to tell you the truth you just opened my eyes again. Its been awhile since I last dived and going to take a refresher course soon so I can be ready for the good times. I really enjoyed the dives I had so far and look forward to some good times again. Peace out and keep the comments coming.

Okie Newbies, I as a fellow newbie have been rather morbidly obsessed with the A&I thread (accidents and incidents) . . and I've noticed a disturbing trend.

We newbies have too much weight on us when we dive. AND

We newbies don't yet have it ingrained in our habits, when or how to ditch that weight in emergencies. THUS

We die.

So, I've been working on getting my weight down and for me there have been a few key areas of focus. I share them in the hopes you too will focus on the weight issue. Since I am no expert, not even close, I can't offer you advice on how to do these things correctly. But there are several threads on each topic that offers much advice. PLUS you can ask your instructors. Yep, call 'em up. I don't care how long it's been since your OW cert. Call them. Frequently. I'm blessed with a great instructor. I even emailed him while at ITK with my 'newbie stupid question of the day'.

Ok, here goes my two cents on what we newbies need to focus on early on:

1) Buoyancy, buoyancy, buoyancy . . . now, my dive buddies will tell ya that I have NOT mastered this. But 20 dives into my journey I continue to work hard at it every dive. I analyze why it sucked, and then try to fix it in the next dive. I think my learning curve is shortened because of this focus. I have a long way to go but it is an important skill. Buoyancy is affected by several things. See the next few items below.

2) One of the reasons we have trouble with buoyancy is weight (are you seeing the trend here). Since we are overweighted, we try to use the BC to compensate. For me, it was the fear I couldn't hold a safety stop. So I weighted myself too much. But now I've gotten my cold freshwater/7 mil/steel tank weight down to 10 lbs. It took learning how to RELAX at the surface and then to time my letting out a breath of air at the same time as deflating my BC, then either duck diving or going into the horizontal hover during my descent. It works. Trust me. Try it. We newbies do the feet first thing cuz it is what we are taught, but please try the other methods. I was very pleasantly surprised to learn that my ears actually clear better when I am horizontal then when I do the feet first, PLUS I can see what or who is below me as I descend. AND since I only have 10 lbs now, I use my BC far less often to 'keep me off the bottom'.

3) BREATHING . . . we have to learn to master our breathing. Not just air consumption but actually using our lungs as a sort of BC . . . I'm definitely not there yet, but it's getting better. PLUS, the less often I have to pump air into my BC means more bottom time for me so for 'air hogs' the sooner you can master the weight/buoyancy/breathing issue, the sooner you will win the air war.

4) With less weight we won't get as tired as fast, won't breath through as much air, AND have a better shot at letting our BC work for us in an emergency. IF you have an OOA situation and happen to actually remember to orally inflate your BC at the surface, BUT you have too much weight, your BC may not have enough 'lift' to hold you on the surface.

5) Finally, KNOW HOW TO DUMP YOUR WEIGHT. Practice it. It kills me to read how often divers make it to the surface but because they can't or don't remember to dump their weight they end up drowning.

Ok, I'm off the 'don't die' soap box for the day.

Veterans - please add your comments. Don't hesitate to flame me where needed. Let's face it . . my two cents isn't worth half its value so I'm not offended by having better information posted.

P.S. For those with weight integrated BC's, consider splitting your weights between the BC and a weight belt. If you should unintentionally lose the belt, or a weight integrated pocket, you will only lose a portion of the weight. (Veterans: Please chime in on any concerns about the difficulty ditching 'multiple' weights might be in this scenario).
I too have been working on my buoyancy/weighting/air consumption since about my 10th dive. I determined around that time frame that I was overweighted (a lot). Now that I have gone to a drysuit, I have noticed that I was even more overweight than I though. When I only had to add 2 pounds to accommodate for a trilam drysuit over a 5 mil wetsuit, I knew something was a bit off. I then got into the quarry by my house and spent an afternoon checking my weight, diving, using up an AL80 and then checking if I was heavy enough to manage a safety stop at say 500 psi. I determined that with my "jacket style" bc and an AL 80 that I needed 22 pounds in fresh and 26 in salt.(I was wearing 26 in fresh and 30 in salt before) I am now in a drysuit using a LP112, and a back inflate BC. I am now have determined that I need 24 pounds in fresh water and I will estimate 28 in salt.(to be determined when I get into the salt water soon)

I have gotten much better on my breathing and am just about to the point where I can inhale to move up a little, and exhale to go back. I have not mastered this but am getting there. I have also moved on to realize that the current works for me, not against me. I do a lot of shore dives where there is a strong current, I have now grasped the concept of "drift diving" and took the class on it just to take in what I could for other situations other than shore dives. Now that I have realized that the current works for me, I have drastically cut my air consumption.

I have not practiced dumping my weight but I have pulled my weight pockets underwater to take some weight out to hand off to someone who needed it more than me. Since I am doing a lot of dives in areas with strong currents I find it better to have a little extra weight just in case someone else needs it, or if I need to stay at the bottom to "rest"

I cannot say that I have perfected any of these skills, seeing that I have only 38 or so dives. I don't expect to have everything worked out at this point, but I do recognize the need to perfect it, and am working on it.

Hey Nor!! Well hope I get a chance to dive with you this coming dive season. Having just invested in my dry suit, I'm about to start the next phase of weighting/buoyancy control! I'm apprehensive because I finally got my weighting and buoyancy dialed in really well and feel like a real diver. We'll see how long it takes me to get my drysuit control in hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom