to the bottom and immediately back up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knobber

Registered
Reaction score
I was reading the question about the stuck inflator hose button and was wondering--if you submerged to the bottom and for some reason (stuck inflator button, out of air, , panic, air wasn't turned on) you had to immediately get to the surface, could you swim at top speed since you've only been in the water 20-30 seconds--(breathing on the reg or exhaling on the way up)? Or if the button stuck and you floated up fast, would it cause decompression. IOW, does ANY bottom time mean that you have to do a slow ascent or else you'll get bent/have an embolism?

Sorry if this has been asked before!

Embolism would be the biggest threat, DCS would not be an issue unless the depth was extreme.

Embolism risks are not effected by time spent at depth.

Jeff Lane

rmediver2002 once bubbled...
Embolism would be the biggest threat, DCS would not be an issue unless the depth was extreme.
While, as with most decompression related issues, there is little actual hard evidence, many in the field believe that there is increased danger with an immediate ascent if you are still bubbling from a previous dive.

i.e. It's ok to do a quick bounce dive as the first dive of a series, but after you have started diving for the day, it is best to do a slow ascent and stops, even if the bottom time on your repetitive dive were only a few seconds.

A search on "bounce dives" should bring up those threads.

For repetitive dives, Charlie99 said it.
For the first dive, nitrogen loading is just like a breathhold dive.
People regularly breathhold dive to 50ft, and good ones in excess of 100ft! Since these people don't get DCS (unless on extreme dives) it seems pretty safe to say that DCS is not a factor.

Now AGE is a completely different matter..

Dear knobber:

The ascent to the surface will not result in DCS as the other mentioned. Breath holding could certainly produce a problem since that is not the result of tissue gas loading.

If this dive has been preceded by other dives that day, it is possible that some problem could arise. Deep bounces following longer dives have been reported to be associated with neurological DCS. :boom:

Dr Deco :doctor:

hey guys, thanks for the help. I hope it never happens, but I just wanted to get clarification in case it did. Wasn't sure on how the nitrogen acted right off the bat.

Thanks!

Dr Deco once bubbled...

Deep bounces following longer dives have been reported to be associated with neurological DCS. :boom:

[/font] Dr Deco :doctor:

As I understand it, a deep bounce is able to give you DCS even if it isn't following a longer dive. Everything is a matter of descent + ascent speeds and depth, and of course how you define a bounce.

Of course you are worse off doing a bounce as a second dive...

Assuming you've already done some dives during the day will breath hold diving (ie free diving) give you DCS/embolisms?
I know you are not supposed to free dive after diving, but say you did 3 dives, and were going out to the 4th and you did free dives to the bottom on your way out to the dive site to check out the bottom.
I'm assuming this is bad, I was just curious as I saw someone doing it recently

Back
Top Bottom