to rock boot or not to rock boot ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
To those who wear rock boots ... especially in cold water ... what do you wear for warmth?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob,
I wear the neoprene dry socks ("soft sock") that came with my Whites dry suit, and then some thick fleece socks over those. My feet are very easily cold and this works for me.

NWGratefulDiver:
OK ... so now I've got a few dives on the rock boots, there are some pros and cons.

First off, they seem to fit my Turtle fins much better than the boots on my old suit, and I saw immediate gains in the glide on my kick. I also seem to get better response on my reverse kick now.

The downside is my feet are getting really COLD! The last couple of nights I couldn't even feel my feet when I got out of the water ... until they started warming up, then I felt them plenty (and not pleasantly).

To those who wear rock boots ... especially in cold water ... what do you wear for warmth?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DUI 400 Gram Thinsulate Booties. You may have to jump up a size in your rock boots but those are very warm.

http://www.dui-online.com/dw_boots.htm

Also, are you using Argon?

jonnythan:
One well fed cat in each boot should take care of that.

Seriously, though, my feet get darned cold in the winter even though my drysuit's booties are 7mm neoprene and I wear two thick hiking socks underneath. Never occurred to me that it could be the Rock Boots causing the problem.

I know Diving Concepts makes Thinsulate booties, and Weezle makes those sleeping bag booties, so those might help. I'm interested on hearing more on this myself.
The Diving concepts are 200gr Thinsulate while DUI offers 400gr.
That said, since I'm getting easily cold feet, I bought me the DUI 400gr. socks to go with my new DC suit :D
BTW, I'd suggest declawing the cat before using her as a warmer, otherwise I see long hours with the Aquaseal tube...............

FWIW - I've been wearing two pairs of ski socks ... which were quite adequate with my Northern Diver drysuit boots.

I went out during lunch today and purchased a pair of 300G fleece socks and a pair of polypro liners. I'll try them out tonight and post the result here.

I'll be on a boat tomorrow, so for backup I also got a package of something called "Toe Warmers" ... :wink:

.. Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom