to rock boot or not to rock boot ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
... that is the question.

I'll be ordering a custom CLX450 next week, and have to make a decision.

To date, my suits have all come with regular drysuit boots. Now I have to decide whether to go with rock boots, or just get the soles.

What do you DUI users use? What do you like/dislike about the rock boots? Soles?

I'm leaning toward the rock boots ... but wouldn't mind some added perspective before I make up my mind.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Although I don't have a DUI, I'm using rockboots on my Kevlar suit, along with a number of dive buddies. None of us have problems with them, once you learn how to wrap the laces :wink:

Mine are comfortable. You also might look into the Bare equivalent as they appear to be made somewhat better, but I haven't had a pair on.

MD

NWGratefulDiver:

To date, my suits have all come with regular drysuit boots. Now I have to decide whether to go with rock boots, or just get the soles.

What do you DUI users use? What do you like/dislike about the rock boots? Soles?

I'm leaning toward the rock boots ... but wouldn't mind some added perspective before I make up my mind.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Get the rock boots you will not regret it. You might have to buy new fins, the rock boots are excellent.

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I don't have a DUI suit either, but I have Bare's equivalent Trek boot. I had the original vulcanized rubber boots on my suit originally. My feet I think are in-between sizes, so the boot was a little large. When air got in there, it felt as if my feet were swimming in my boots, despite adding an insole and wearing thick socks. Then I switched to the Trek boot. Snug fit, feels much better in terms of control. Not much air gets in and my fins don't feel like they're flopping around. It is a little less convenient to get into, but that's minor at best.

Get the Rock Boots Bob. I don't understand why people find them to be a hassle. You only put them on once a day and you can store them in your DS bag. I find them comfortable, rugged and a good looking. Follow the instruction on the DUI web site to a "T" on how to lace them properly...it makes a big difference when donning.

Good choice BTW Those CLX450's are awesome! Are you getting Cordura all over the suit?

Before I got my DUI, I dove with a suit with built in boots - so that is my only comparison.

I have tiny feet (8.5) so there really is no built-in boot (well, no MEN'S boot) that would fit me. So both of the suits I dove with the built-in were big, floppy, difficult to don, rubbed my shins and ankles and were very uncomfortable - especially for frog kicking.

The alternative is the turbosole. You can use smaller fin pockets, but if you're scrambling over sand and rocks with an E8-130 and BP/W, I wouldn't be comfortable without some kind of ankle support. The rock boot is a glorified Converse All Star c. 1955, but it works.

Be sure to cut the laces... wrapping them around and around is silly. We cut ours to about 6" or 7" above the top and simply bring them to the velcro on the back of the boot.

K

Mo2vation:
Be sure to cut the laces... wrapping them around and around is silly. We cut ours to about 6" or 7" above the top and simply bring them to the velcro on the back of the boot.

K

I have also read where some divers are replacing the laces with bungee cord. That way there is no excess to wrap around the shoe and the laces just stretch when you put on the boots.

Rock boots...I love mine.

Mine is a TLS350 though...I can't think of much that would be different, except the possibility that the material surrounding your foot might be different (thickness? durability?) than the material in the TLS350 I use...

I don't like the Rock Boots as they take longer to get ready to dive and much longer to get un-ready... not only two more items to don and doff but getting out of the sock foot afterwards is a pain IMO.

I really like just stepping in to my Andy's with attached boots. Of course unless I wait until everyone else is almost ready to jump in the water I find myself sitting around waiting with my suit on. Oh well... I guess waiting one way or the other is my lot in life.

On the plus side for the rock boots is that they completely eliminate any trapped air in the feet which is nice for those folks prone to upside down out of control ascents.

On the negative side for the rock boots is that they completely eliminate any trapped air in the feet and my feet were much more prone to getting cold using them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom