To rebreathe or not to rebreathe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetvet

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all;

I am looking for opinions on the value of rebreathers in our local environment. I am considering getting a semi or fully closed rebreather, but can't decide a) if I would be further ahead to buy another set of doubles (~$1500) or a rebreather ($4000 - $25000), and if I decide to go the rebreather route, will a semi closed be worth starting on, or should I go directly to a fully closed system?

Questions I have, that only rebreather divers can answer me on:

1) In Ontario, can the extended bottom time be useful, considering the cold water below ~60 feet (42F below thermocline in Toby 3 weeks ago)
2) Without my own boat (yet), is there any charter here or in any tropical destination who will allow you extended dive times (beyond what a set of double would give you)?
3) Is the difference in "noise" between semi closed and closed rebreathers significant for interactions with wildlife (mostly thinking of south or west coast diving.....not too scared of scarin the catfish in Brockville)
3) How does the cost of maintaining a rebreather (gas costs and maintanence) compare to getting O2 cleaning and reg servicing of regular doubles (consider that I have 6 tanks I use)
4) Is rebreathing worth the relearning of bouyancy and gear?

One consideration for this discussion is that I am planning on getting trimix certefied in the next year or so, and I am a relatively active "technical diver" with ~1/3 of my 75 dives (this year) are in the 120-160 ffw depth range (where gas supply does become a consideration)

Any input is much appreciated.

Wetvet

wetvet:
Hi all;

I am looking for opinions on the value of rebreathers in our local environment. I am considering getting a semi or fully closed rebreather, but can't decide a) if I would be further ahead to buy another set of doubles (~$1500) or a rebreather ($4000 - $25000), and if I decide to go the rebreather route, will a semi closed be worth starting on, or should I go directly to a fully closed system?

1) In Ontario, can the extended bottom time be useful, considering the cold water below ~60 feet (42F below thermocline in Toby 3 weeks ago)
2) Without my own boat (yet), is there any charter here or in any tropical destination who will allow you extended dive times (beyond what a set of double would give you)?
3) Is the difference in "noise" between semi closed and closed rebreathers significant for interactions with wildlife (mostly thinking of south or west coast diving.....not too scared of scarin the catfish in Brockville)
3) How does the cost of maintaining a rebreather (gas costs and maintanence) compare to getting O2 cleaning and reg servicing of regular doubles (consider that I have 6 tanks I use)

One consideration for this discussion is that I am planning on getting trimix certefied in the next year or so, and I am a relatively active "technical diver" with ~1/3 of my 75 dives (this year) are in the 120-160 ffw depth range (where gas supply does become a consideration)

Wetvet

IMHO, the extended duration of the dive should not be a consideration in our water temps - other than the river in July-August - one could easily do a 2 hrs dive with a single set of doubles and two deco gasses. Breather would allow to do much longer BT than 2 hrs, but temperatures won't

The greatest benefit of breather for Great Lakes, again, IMO, is ability to do extended range expeditions where the nearest air fill staiton is hours away and He is not available. Like Whitefish, Preqsue Isle or Isle Royale.

$$$ savings on He fills would be another consideration. For someone blending at home it may not factor as much , for someone who have to pay dive store prices, mix diving can get very expensive very fast

Good luck in your decision,

wetvet:
Hi all;

Wetvet

I am in the same position, 1 hr bottom time is plenty in this climate as well. I dive a dolphin scr for dives less than 100ft and use my doubles for deeper dives. The price jump for a ccr is great and I haven't made the transition and don't expect to unless my 6/49 # come in.
I do however enjoy RB diving and if I was in a position ($$$) to go ccr I would look an an inspiration. I have considered a kiss mod to my breather but it is SCR mode for now.

Hi

I have an Inspiration and to this day, I still asked my self why I wasted so much money in California on a toy and course I hardley use, and thou trained many years ago on a variety of older military re-breather types I thought it would be cool, neat, and amazing to go deeper, longer and safer with something a little more modern, but my current diving partners don't have one so it sits in a box gathering dust, but this isnt to say you shouldn't dive one, I just have to many diving toys and view it differently than most. I still dive with my friends on doubles to deep depths safely. I feel re-breathers have come along way and still need to go some ways before they are deemed extremely safe in my books, as I have seen the faces of those they have taken.

Mr A

Mr Adams:
Hi

I have an Inspiration and to this day, I still asked my self why I wasted so much money in California on a toy and course I hardley use. I thought it would be cool, neat, and amazing to go deeper longer and safer but my current diving partners don't have one so it sits in a box gathering dust, but I still dive with my friends on doubles deep and safe.

Happy Gadget collecting

Mr A
I dive with OC buddies all the time not having a RB buddy is not a reason not to use it.. Most seasoned RB divers I know only resort to OC when there is no other choice.. Rb diving isn't for everyone, if you are the type of person who didn't give up the OC to really learn a CCR, you never became a RB diver but rather just another person with a c card.. RB diving is a different mindset, and until you hang up the OC and commit you will never understand this. Most people who give up on Rbs are the ones that never committed, but that the only true way to change your way of thinking, a few dives here and there doesn't do it.

I know most of the OC guys I dive with a quite happy that I am on a RB, They know if the Sh** hits the fan they know I have lots of gas (my bailout) that I will gladly donate without compromising safety.

I know I HAVE handed off deco bottles more than once to OC divers that had a malfunctioning deco reg.. If you are with another OC diver he/she most likely has enough gas for his/her own deco plus a little more.. In this case you'll have to do your deco on YOUR back gas (or if your can swap regs under water from you back gas to deco gas providing it wasnt a loos of gas) and follow the other diver up until they are finished or til they can safely give you whats left over of their gas..

Going deeper and longer aren't the only advantages.. The biggest advantages are breathing a WARM moist gas and always breathing the best gas..

Dear Wetvet,

I certainly agree with most of what has been posted in this thread. I would however caution you to take a lot closer look at what what rebreather to use in the lakes here if you think that SCR is a set of training wheels to step up to a CCR. The difference between the two is not only philosphical but there is a huge safety differnce in the two as well. I will leave the research to you.

I use my RB every chance I get in the great lakes area. Mostly deeper dives but occasionally on shallower diver using nitrox. As a toy they can not be beat but if I were given the choice between a RB and a Gavin, the scooter wins every time. The scooter you are more likely to use :)

Dan MacKay

Thanks for all your input.
I have done a bit of research on the rebreathers, and thought up many of the problems you have mentioned. I just wanted some input from people who had actually experienced it. I hadn't really thought to use a SCR as a training wheel for a CCR, but was trying to decide if a gas-extender was a better use of my money, or should I splurge and get a gas mixer to carry around.
By the resounding lack of enthusiasm out there, I may divert the funds towards trimix training and gear, rather than the rebreather end of things. Thanks for your help.

Wetvet

I know I look forward to getting a rebreather. Selecting one should be a fun process. Not sure how wreck penetration will work with it, but it's gonna be a blast finding out.

wetvet:
Thanks for all your input.
I have done a bit of research on the rebreathers, and thought up many of the problems you have mentioned. I just wanted some input from people who had actually experienced it. I hadn't really thought to use a SCR as a training wheel for a CCR, but was trying to decide if a gas-extender was a better use of my money, or should I splurge and get a gas mixer to carry around.
By the resounding lack of enthusiasm out there, I may divert the funds towards trimix training and gear, rather than the rebreather end of things. Thanks for your help.

Wetvet

Hi Wetvet,

Don't get me wrong here. I think my RB is the cats PJ's and I dive it every opportunity I get. I just wanted to warn you that it is a very expensive toy to leave lying on the shelf. Nothing can beat the security of a RB at 250' in the great lakes with that lovely little catalytic heater on your back. It really is quite amazing and certainly is a plus when the water is cold. Just make sure you get one for the right reasons. The crack I made about the choice between a Gavin and an RB is not entirely true - the real way to go is the long body with a RB!

Back
Top Bottom