To package, or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, I think that math above was a little fuzzy. Renting equipment for a weak of vacation diving is 120 each, making 240 total. It would only take us 5-6 years to "purchase" a complete set within our budget.
I think that $120 per person for a week's worth of rentals is on the low side.
Regardless, I understand what you meant. Assuming we bought ALL gear, how much could we expect in annual maintenance charges?
Most dive shops offer "annual" maintenance service for BCDs. FYI, I've never had any of my BCDs serviced by a dive shop. With the proper post-dive fresh water rinsing, this shouldn't really be necessary. After many dives, you may have to service the power inflater. This can be a DIY job or you can pay the shop to do it.

Regs are another matter. Some manufacturers have a free-overhaul-parts-for-life policy, provided that the owner gets the reg serviced at the recommended manufacturer-specified intervals (every year or every other year). Excluding the price of parts, servicing for a first stage + two second stages + analog SPG (HP spool) ranges from $50 - $125. Shop around for the best price and the best quality work. After getting the reg serviced, I'd recommend doing a handful of "test" dives before really trusting the reg setup. It's been my experience that regs tend to have issues right after servicing. Weird, huh? :D
Are snorkels and wetsuits really necessary? We dove in Jamaica in shorts and tees and I thought it was fine.
Snorkels are definitely not necessary for diving. I only use my snorkel when I...go snorkeling. It's a happy coincidence that many places that feature diving also offer snorkeling opportunities. That's why I take my snorkel with me while on a dive vacation. Some people like to use their snorkel while kicking out to a dive site or if surface conditions are rough.

Wetsuits are not necessary either. However, as you gain experience, you'll find that your movements underwater become more efficient. This means that you aren't burning up all of that energy (non-stop kicking, sculling with hands, etc.) which seems to make people feel "warmer." More experienced divers tend to have longer bottom times and do more repetitive dives. This increases the likelihood that you'll get cold. Wearing a wetsuit keeps you warm and provides some protection from cuts/scrapes/stings.

Last edited:
Suprised you don't already have masks, fins, and snorkels. Snorkel is not necessary but i do like to have one in my bag. Next, get a regulator, you will enjoy having your own. Since you've already been looking online, check out the Edge Epic. If I was in the market for a new reg this is the one I'd buy; very reasonable. Then y'all can rent bc's when you go diving and you wont have to spend a $100 apiece for equipment rentals.

As above, regs are the main yearly (or bi-yearly) maintenance expense. If you buy tanks though (which you would only do if you have local diving opportunities, not to take with you) then you're looking at yearly VIP's for the tanks (~20/tank on average?) and then every 5 years, hydro testing ($35-50?).

As mentioned, think about what you would feel most comfortable renting vs owning. Wetsuit fit (if you need one) is very model-specific, especially if you happen to be a <ahem> hard to fit body type. It's directly related to how comfortable you'll feel in the water, and also a key factor in how much ballast (lead) you need to carry. Plus, how comfortable are you with wearing a suit that who knows how many other people have peed in :shocked2:

Regs, performance wise, aren't going to be that different, but the Ick factor comes into play - are you comfortable with sticking something in your mouth that Gum Disease Harry the Smoker just turned back into the rental shop? OTOH, you can offset some of that by bringing your own mouthpiece and zip-ties, and something to disinfect with (Listerine?).

BC's are adjustable. A good fit leads to comfortable diving, but most have straps and velcro or other adjustments (webbing) that you can use to dial-in the fit. Aside from the manual inflator which might never get used, noting gets stuck into your mouth, or otherwise kept in close contact with, uh, you know. Downside is that you need to spend a little time learning a new piece of gear - where the dumps are, how any weight releases might work, etc.

Assuming you're not picky, fins might be a good thing to leave at home. Bulky, possibly heavy, and if you're not picky on style, not too much hassle to rent locally. Downside is that you might get stuck with a style you don't like (full foot vs. open heal, splits vs paddles, etc). And if you don't have your own, you can't take advantage of any opportunities that might arise to snorkel on your own.

I was in your place last year...a new diver in a landlocked area, hence a vacation diver, once or twice a year, etc.

I started off with a scuba package from JoeDiver. It was a decent set [the Aeris 5 Oceans package], but I would have been wiser to wait til I was more knowledgeable about what I needed and wanted [the 5 Ocean BCD is good, but not exactly what I wanted and the fit wasn't ideal].

I would tell you this: Invest in your own mask/snorkel/fin and boots set...make sure they fit and are good quality; stay with a middle of the road design [no splits or exotic features]. The next thing you want is a wetsuit that fits you well...go to a LDS to try them on, don't mail-order. You might not absolutely need a wetsuit for tropical diving, but keep in mind that conditions won't always be perfect for you. There is also the protection factor...the ocean ain't a swimming pool.

Rent your BCD and regulator set and chat with fellow divers about what they use [and read the ScubaBoard posts] for the first few times you go diving. You will quickly figure out what you need/want and be able to make a much more suitable purchase for yourself. That's my view anyhow, FWIW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom