To P Valve or not to P Valve Drysuit Talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to pee on almost any dive lasting longer than say 15-30 minutes. If you don't, then odds are you aren't hydrated enough.
That's a strong statement. I don't recall seeing any evidence which supports a statement like that.
For longer deco dives with run times in excess of 1.5 hrs., sure, a p-valve is not only an excellent idea...but probably a necessity (if one has an aversion to adult diapers).
For substantially shorter recreational dives, most people can very easily remain well-hydrated and wait until the dive concludes to relieve themselves. It helps to visit the restroom before donning gear.

I think I would be more comfortable sending a suit under warranty to the manufacturer for an alteration rather than do it myself whether or not I am capable and end up with a leak.

That's a strong statement. I don't recall seeing any evidence which supports a statement like that.
For longer deco dives with run times in excess of 1.5 hrs., sure, a p-valve is not only an excellent idea...but probably a necessity (if one has an aversion to adult diapers).
For substantially shorter recreational dives, most people can very easily remain well-hydrated and wait until the dive concludes to relieve themselves. It helps to visit the restroom before donning gear.

I doubt you'll find much "scientific" evidence, but his statement is probably true. Hydration is super important, and frequently overlooked.

+1 for p valve. You have to pee on almost any dive lasting longer than say 15-30 minutes. If you don't, then odds are you aren't hydrated enough. You have to stay hydrates to reduce the risk of DCS... When i bought a drysuit there was not even a question, it got a p valve before I dove it.

I would agree with this as a former critical care medical professional. While not always 100% accurate, in general, it is true. Each person is so different, nothing is ever concrete. Besides, the terminology "....odds are..." were used. Hard to argue with that.

I doubt you'll find much "scientific" evidence, but his statement is probably true. Hydration is super important, and frequently overlooked.
I would agree with this as a former critical care medical professional. While not always 100% accurate, in general, it is true. Each person is so different, nothing is ever concrete. Besides, the terminology "....odds are..." were used. Hard to argue with that.
Well, my personal experience doesn't support the 15-30 minute time frame. Perhaps I'm an outlier.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that hydration status doesn't play a role in DCS pathogenesis. It's just one of many factors and, in all likelihood, not the most important factor. All I'm saying is that it's relatively easy to stay properly hydrated during the dive and not have to urinate every 15-30 minutes. Yeah, I'm aware of the immersion diuresis phenomenon. I'm also aware of some recent animal studies (using pigs and rats) that investigated whether dehydrating the animals vs. controls (± loop diuretic and restricting access to water) caused a significant increase in venous gas emboli, the incidence of DCS, or the seriousness of DCS. The results of such experiments have been inconclusive.

Well, my personal experience from listening, talking about it, and laughing with others and that with the prerequisite morning coffee or other substances is that there is plenty of pissing going on, not just on here, with often open (both valves) belonging to very blissfully ecstatic not a care in the world divers, (watch the eyes when someone stops when there is nothing to stop for) and one of the other substantiated facts is the empty 1.5L water bottle I mostly seem to forget rolling around on the one dive, boat, the contents of which must have gone somewhere after, and the grossly increased sea level even with evaporation after we all bumble out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom