To P Valve or not to P Valve Drysuit Talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My zipper is in front and comes down far enough that I can void urine without taking off my drysuit.

I dove off of boats and was able to "go" off the back of the boat like some of the we divers did and down in the head when we were near other boats at a dive site.

A fellow dive buddy swears by his P-Valve but I never really put too much thought into one. It seems as though I never have an issue being able to "go" except DURING the dive when all other wet divers do.

In my opinion, it is just one more thing to clean and one more item to potentially leak.

For those who have done the P-Valve thing in your drysuit, please elaborate on your experiences. Thans

It seems as though I never have an issue being able to "go" except DURING the dive when all other wet divers do.

exactly! with a p-valve, you can go while diving. when most of your dives are an hour or longer, or you get into deco diving, a p-valve becomes more than an 'extra'. yes, it's extra maintenance & you gain the opportunity to pee yourself, but it's worth it.

I consider a P-valve a safety device. When you know you have to "hold" it, especially during a deco dive, divers have a tendancy to underhydrate pre-dive. That is very dangerous. Holding it can also cause stress and take your concentration away from other places. I say hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, pee, pee, pee!

Just do it. I finally got tired of holding it until I was uncomfortable, especially climbing a boat ladder with a full bladder. Just got my valve in. Will be installing it this week.

Sounds like the first 3 posters are all YES for the P-Valve.

Holding it during a dive is the most bothersome to me. I still hydrate but I try to let go at the last minute before the boat leaves or we dive from shore. I did have a 60+ minute dive a few weeks ago where I could have gone longer but I ended the dive due to my pressure.

Yeah, good idea.

I just put one in my drysuit. I was so glad that I did. The first time I used it, I was a little apprehensive at first and kept hoping that my plumbing had not come undone ( i felt the warmth of the urine in the piping), but I figured, had I peed myself, there was no going back now. When I returned to shore, I had not had any issues with the valve and was very happy it worked so well. I just know what to expect next time. :blush:

Definitely worth it. I have a bladder of super capacity, yet the ability to not have to hold it is wonderful & comfortable. To be honest, I can not "go" while swimming & have to be still, but once the job is done, I can get back to business & not have to worry.

Wow, we are up to 5 pro P Valve and 0 against. A scubaboard record so far for agreement...lol

Where are the nightmare stories?

I am sure there are some funny ones too..

When ya got to go, ya got to go.

I dove in pain, in wet nappies and finally said "uncle" and got a halcyon balanced p valve.

It is healthier to hydrate well and have the ability to eliminate.

I wasted many dives in discomfort and humility. Should have gotten a p valve when I bought my drysuit. It has never leaked and is easy to rinse out with a little vinegar and water.

Oh, there are nightmare stories . . . Realizing 120 minutes into a 180 minute dive that somehow, the thing has come disconnected, and there are no good choices. :)

I got a p-valve for cave diving, because the dives I was doing were getting long enough that there weren't any good answers, and diving wet wasn't possible for thermal reasons. But as time has gone on, I've found it so useful that it takes very little to make me decide to "accessorize" these days. Even on a single dive at a site where there are bathrooms, it's SO nice not to have to do the "waddle of shame" out of the water and to the car, to strip hurriedly out of the suit and run for the restroom.

The guys have fewer failures than we women do, but there will be the occasional annoying or embarrassing moment. It's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom