To Octo or not to Octo, that is the question. Need advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I took my OW I used the Dive Center’s equipment, which had an Octo set-up. When I purchased my own equipment shortly afterwards, I was advised to use the Air2 and forego the Octo in order to streamline. They also recommended I use a dive computer instead of a SPG. At the time it made logical and good sense to me. Now that I look back on that, I think it was unwise for that LSD sales person to recommend such a method to a new diver; but as a certified diver I have to ultimately take responsibilty for the purchase. Since then, I have watched and learned and for me personally, I dive with redundancy; a wrist dive computer and either a console computer or SPG along with a primary regulator and an Octo. If I am in my BCD I also have the Air2; if in my BP/W no Air2. I totally understand that with diving there are risks involved that could prove fatal and I want to minimize them at all costs, thru training, proper use of equipment and dive techniques, redundancy and not taking short-cuts. I think there are better ways to streamline than to increase my perceptional risk (I saw perceptional risk because for other divers these risks are minimal).

While I am not a Tec diver, I see advantages to using a 7' hose on my primary and a short hose on my Octo with a necklace harness. I have never had to deploy it in an emergency situation; but I like the idea of space between me and a panicked diver. Both my regs are identical only the Octo has a yellow faceplate. On every dive I now practice with both regulators to increase and maintain my familiarity and proficiency. This works for me and I am very comfortable with it (within my risk tolerence level).

I am still open to new ideas and will try them if they seem reasonable to my diving comfort levels, as an indicator many of my posts are seeking addition information and advice. And that is why I really enjoy ScubaBoard…I have learned so much it has definitely enhanced my diving experiences. But at all times my safety is paramount to me and my family.

~MIchael~

...look at the Mares octo so that when you give it to them upside-down they wont get a wet first breath...
...that's an important point, too - I chose an Apeks Egress for that same reason. I'm sure these aren't the only two alternate second-stages that work well upside down, but it's worth remembering that although we're trained to donate in an OOA situation and can therefore provide the alternate correctly-orientated, it might not happen 'according to the script' in the heat of the moment!

My favorite single hose regulator is my Conshelf 14. Because of the way the ports are configured on the first stage, I have my SPG and primary second stage coming off the right side and my inflator hose and octo coming from the left. It took a little time to get used to but one of the benefits is that the octo is "right side up" when offered to another diver. My primary is on a 3' hose and the Sea Elite SX40 octo is on a yellow, 3 1/2' hose. I tell anyone diving with me that the yellow-faced reg on the yellow hose is for their emergency use, if needed. But that shiny, metal one in my mouth is mine. Don't even think about grabbing for it, 'cause you ain't gonna get it.

Of course, when I'm diving vintage style with my double hose Aqua-Master, it's buddy breathing or nothing, pal! :D

We have some older single hose regulators that do not have ports for octos that we like to dive as well. In that case we are prepared to resort to the old buddy breathing techniques. I don't advocate a total return to the old no octo style of diving for everyone, but I do think it's a skill that should be taught, if for no other reason than as a confidence builder.

Like was said earlier, an octo that works on the surface can fail at depth. It doesn't hurt to have a fallback plan.

If you can breathe from a free-flowing reg, you can breathe from a reg with a busted diaphragm or exhaust valve. :wink:
Yes you can! And I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom