To Octo or not to Octo, that is the question. Need advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surf n Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Today I picked up my new Atomics Z2 reg from my LDS and the sales guy asks me if I am going to get a octo. Good question sales guy. He directs me at literally the cheapest octo he has around $80-$100 and says that's what he recommends. Pause.

My question is, my pops was a master diver back in the '80's and I know it was a different time back then but him and all his dive buddies, none of them had back-up regs. I'm not saying that's right but it confuses things for me when OW and AOW classes preach the importance of a octo.

I'm too new to diving (only 11 dives) to have an opinion either way. Is it pretty standard amongst recreational divers within their own setups to purchase a octo? If so, what about a Air II for instance as a replacement?

Please help me out. Thanks.

It is now almost universally standard to have a backup second stage of some sort. In my opinion, it is a very good idea as well. And most dive operators, in my experience, require it.

A properly configured octopus is unobtrusive and streamlined, and relatively inexpensive. It's much easier to use than buddy-breathing, the alternative that I was taught in 1975 and your father was probably taught in the '80s. Buddy breathing requires a well-trained and practiced buddy team to do safely and easily--breathing off an octopus is simple by comparison.

I have used an Air II in the past, but now use a standard octopus, which I believe is simpler to deploy and more reliable.

I'm too new to diving (only 11 dives) to have an opinion either way. Is it pretty standard amongst recreational divers within their own setups to purchase a octo? If so, what about a Air II for instance as a replacement?

Please help me out. Thanks.

If you search for this topic you'll find at least one billion threads discussing the air 2 vs standard octo. They run the gamut from thoughtful discussion to pointless name-calling and insults. Have fun reading!

Yes, it is standard practice, and a requirement for most charters, that each diver has an alternate 2nd stage. This was covered in your OW class, wasn't it?

As said, a backup secondary regulator (i.e. octo) is the norm. Many go the combo inflator/regulator (i.e. Air2) route. I will save you the reading in that the main argument for them is streamlining, the main argument against is task loading (breathing and trying to dump air from your BCD at the same time).

Buying the cheapest secondary is often the case as it will rarely be used, drug through the sand, etc. However, when it is needed it hopefully will perform as intended ( I personally seen that not be the case). For me, my secondary reg is just as good as my primary. It also just happens that I use atomic regs so my backup is a Z2.

FWIW a good analogy is with spare tires

Air2 == run flat tire
cheap backup == mini spare
std. reg == std. tire as a spare

FWIW a good analogy is with spare tires

Air2 == run flat tire
cheap backup == mini spare
std. reg == std. tire as a spare

All replies have been extremely helpful, thank you. I do enjoy the analogy above and it helps put things into perspective.

Octo it is. Should I go with the cheaper $80-$100 octo the sales guy was presenting to me (unbalanced) or pick one off Lesiurepro/Scubatoys. What did you do? I'm on a budget so although I agree with the "full size spare" concept, I'm not in position to fork out the cash for another Atomic's Z2 for my spare. Thanks again guys. Your knowledge is valuable!

I cannot think of any good reason NOT to have a backup regulator. Which one hinges on personal choice. We're in the "donate your primary" school of thought, and currently use AIR2s, but we've used regular octos too. Considering how rarely the octo is used (albeit it's a somewhat high-stress situation when it IS used), we don't see any real need for a high dollar octo. Well maintained, yes, but not expensive.

What matters most if that you have the equipment readily available, that it works, and that you practice emergency procedures with YOUR gear often enough that you can use it smoothly in a crisis.

At least look at the Mares octo so that when you give it to them upsidedown they wont get a wet first breath

Assuming you are a qualified diver... I'd just reference you to the guidance given on equipment considerations/needs during your certification course.

Personally, I wouldn't get into the water with another diver who was too cheapskate to protect my welfare by providing an emergency air source. AIRII is an emergency air source - in that you switch to that and donate your primary regulator. There's pros and cons to that approach and that kit in particular - plenty of threads available to search here that discuss those issues.

Quality/performance of a regulator is ultimately determined by the demands that will be put on it. AAS won't be used much, tends to get knocked about by novice divers - but is critical in function if/when it is ever needed. Rugged design and simplicity are probably the most important attributes. Issues regarding performance at depth, or in cold water, apply equally to primary and AAS regulators. If you have an emergency, you want kit that'll rectify the problem, not exaggerate it.

There are arguments for both sides Air II/Oct, depends on how you were taught(donate primary or octo) But Atomic makes a great Alt(AirII) the SS1 which breaths great ,has a hose attachment for rinsing out you BC/Wing. I like it have used it at 100' to see how it performs & every so often practice breathing & ascents using just the alt., like everything else makes no sense to have emergency equipt. if your not comfortable using it.

Octo it is. Should I go with the cheaper $80-$100 octo the sales guy was presenting to me (unbalanced) or pick one off Lesiurepro/Scubatoys. What did you do? I'm on a budget so although I agree with the "full size spare" concept, I'm not in position to fork out the cash for another Atomic's Z2 for my spare. Thanks again guys. Your knowledge is valuable!

If you go with the one your LDS recommended, it will serviced by them on the same schedule as your first and second stage. No hassle about gear you didn't buy from them, or any issue of getting the desired spare parts. The price is in the "right" range. Some octos are also a bit harder to breathe, so they don't free flow when not in use.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom