To log or not to log... pool dives (noob Q)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Log if but don't number it. Log it if you change configuration of your gears, changed weights, suit, boots, hood, gloves, fins. Log it if you are trying to do kick counts. Log it if you are testing new gears before a trip, and need to find the right weight. It is for future reference.

I'd log it if it were in a large aquarium like at the Epcot center, where the depth is like 20 plus feet. It simply would be a "cool" dive. A refresher course should be logged, as sometime you might have to show proof of recent diving or recent refresher class.

Log it, but don't number it as a dive. Log the changes you make in weight, gear configurations or log training dives. That way you have a permanent record of what you did/didn't do, what works and what doesn't. Remember, a pool is confined water and no matter how long you stay in the deep end, it doesn't count as a actual dive. :palmtree: Bob

If you log it, don't number it.
That's what I do.

If you went in the pool and sorted out an issue it's important to capture the solution.

You might be fine tuning weight placement for a particular wetsuit for instance. Months latter what went where may be fuzzy.

Pete
Log if but don't number it. Log it if you change configuration of your gears, changed weights, suit, boots, hood, gloves, fins. Log it if you are trying to do kick counts. Log it if you are testing new gears before a trip, and need to find the right weight. It is for future reference.

I'd log it if it were in a large aquarium like at the Epcot center, where the depth is like 20 plus feet. It simply would be a "cool" dive. A refresher course should be logged, as sometime you might have to show proof of recent diving or recent refresher class.
Good advice.

The only other pool dive I do log is this (have I said this before? :rofl3:)

I have two pool dives that I logged: one was a session in which we were hosting a discovery dive for science teachers (I'm not an instructor or DM...but it was part of a workshop I was presenting). I served as videographer and presented each teacher with a disc of their experience. The second one I logged was when I was asked to repair the local municipal pool using scuba gear so they wouldn't have to drain it.
I considered both "dives" to be out of the ordinary for me, they were memorable, and each presented unique challenges (task loading and such). As others noted, it's my dive log, so I logged them.

I follow the 15, 15 rule. If its not 15 feet and 15 minutes I don't log it and I also don't count pool dives as dives. I do have a log book for all pool dives that include some kind of equiptment issues, but there again they are never counted as dives.

You can log whatever you like in your logbook, just don't ever claim those dives as experience dive towards entering a course.

Personally, I find the very concept of logging pool time embarassing

The only other pool dive I do log is this (have I said this before? :rofl3:)

I saw pictures of that a couple years ago I think... really cool. I wish there was one in Colorado!!

Great advice to only log dives that have something I want to keep for future reference. However, since I use computer software to keep dives, if I keep the dive it has to be numbered. (I use Suunto Dive Manager. Not great software, but good enough.)

You can log whatever you like in your logbook, just don't ever claim those dives as experience dive towards entering a course.

Personally, I find the very concept of logging pool time embarassing

Yeah, I think so too, which I why I posted this question in the first place... just wondering how others felt.

Not only would I not log pool dives, I don't log dives where I took students down for just a few minutes, free an anchor or check out vis. If I don't stay down and look around for at least fifteen minutes I don't consider it a dive.
We have a local diver who posted every one of her dives last year. She made over 150 dives, yet many of them were in her rescue class when she would drop for three minutes, surface, then drop for another minute of two. She did this for two days and counted it as twenty dives.

It's YOUR log, do what YOU want. I

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom