To knot or not to knot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, it's not. Its only a prusik loop if it's used as a prusik hitch. A double fisherman's knot, even before being pulled tight against itself, is still a double fisherman's knot.

Before you respond, understand what an IRATA Level 2 Rope Access Technician is. I literally live and breathe this stuff every day and while you may think it's semantics, it can be incredibly incredibly important.
What is your job that it requires you to hold an IRATA level 2?

I hope this one might help you. I tried to show it slowly so anybody can follow.
It`s perfectly adjustable so you can change size from skindiving to diving with drysuit and gloves in matter of seconds.
Works like charm and i still dive the first set of bungees for over a year now (salt and freshwater).
Make sure you have some high quality material though. Same thing applies for your reg necklace.

As for an app I use Knots3D for learning. It`s an awesome app with tons of knots nicely categorized for all sorts of purposes. All animated! Never seen something better.
Though iam not sure they will have a version for Android users. Check it out and give it a try. I found it to be very useful!
Try learning a few basic knots... they can be a life saver :) As suggested earlier you can even train on tying knots while watching TV :D
Just do them over and over and they become ingrained.
Hope i could help out a bit.

Greetings Chris

Thanks for the video! I *think* this will be my favorite means of attachment...

Attachments

• 20170530_225834 (1).jpg
    20170530_225834 (1).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 62
It looks like heat-shrink tubing to prevent fraying of the sheath to me. I find that coating cut ends of bungee with Aqua-Seal or Shoe-Goo lasts longer.
I usually just melt the ends with a lighter. It may not last quite as long, but for me it isn't so much worse that the mucking with aquasure is worth the hassle. Bungee is cheap. If I can't re-melt the ends when they start to fray, I just cut another piece.

It looks like heat-shrink tubing to prevent fraying of the sheath to me. I find that coating cut ends of bungee with Aqua-Seal or Shoe-Goo lasts longer.
It is indeed heat-shrink tubing.

A bit off topic, but consider practicing, practicing and practicing after watching YouTube instructional videos or getting a knot book from the library. Books about sailing and mountaineering (e.g. Freedom of the Hills) often have a chapter on knots.

5 of 6 basic knots can address most situations requiring a knot. My daughter had a 30 minute commute to school at age 6 and 7 and to pass the time, she followed laminated instructions and practiced knots with two different colour lengths of prussic cord. Now that she dives (age 13), she has a half dozen knots at her disposal.

GJS

For bungee wrist mounts I use cord locks. They make a mount at least as secure as the sliding knots and are easily adjustable.
You mean like these?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51G1JqJYg3L._SL1180_.jpg

I've not been pleased with anything I've come up with for the computer bungee mount so far. The sliding knots I've come up with are either messy or tight and difficult to slide. The bungee I've got isn't stretchable enough to allow me to skip having an adjustment. It either ends up being too loose on my wrist or unable to pass over my hand.

I was considering abandoning the bungee and going back to regular watchband type straps. This might be worth a shot.

Storker, let's just simplify and say "professional knot tier (tyer? tie-r?)" and that the incorrectly tying said knots could quite potentially be fatal. In that regard I take accuracy quite seriously. More than one person has fallen to their demise based on a misunderstanding.

What is your job that it requires you to hold an IRATA level 2?

Level 2 isn't a requirement, hell, Level 1 isn't a requirement for us as long as there are a couple 1's, 2's and at least one 3 on the crew. Job is as a rope access technician, among other things. The company pays for it, so I get the ticket and the logbook. Right now the job is in live entertainment, so much more entertaining than wind or oil and gas. Also happens that it's a dive job too, so I get to go up and down, sometimes down to make heavy things go up.

Today's project was assembling, rigging, flying, then transferring a 6 ton (metric) 4m diameter sphere without letting it touch the ground. Got some fantastic video of the transfer but sadly unable to post due to NDA.

humans are cool

Back
Top Bottom