To island hop, or not to island hop...

What would you do with 2 weeks in the Hawaiian Islands?

• Spend 2 full weeks in Kona

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Spend most the time in Kona, and a few days in Hilo

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Spend 1 week in Kona, and 1 week in Hilo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Island hop! Spend 1 week on Bis Island, 1 week on <???> (O'ahu? Kaua'i?)

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Other ideas?

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avlena

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The hubby and I planning to spend 2 weeks in Hawaii for our 5 year anniversary. There will definitely be diving involved, but it's not going to be an every day thing like Bonaire.

We were planning to spend most of the time on the Big Island, but it seems like a pretty expensive island, and island hopping would be close to the same price. Are 2 weeks too much for the Big Island, or just right? All the time in Kona, or mix it up with some time in Hilo? Or maybe we hop to another island, and vary the experience a bit! So many options!! :tongue:

I suspect we'll have a great time no matter what, and I'm probably over-thinking, but figured a bit of feedback from the scubaboard community couldn't hurt! :D

btw, we've already been to Maui (it's where we got engaged :kiss2:, so I thought we'd try new islands this time around.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I always encourage people to island hop for the variety. You could spend a long time playing on the Kona coast, but you'd miss out on Waimea Valley and the Na Pali coast, and diving Niihau. Or you'd miss out on Honolulu's night life, if that's your thing. Those who live in Hilo absolutely love it, but it doesn't really have much for tourists except to see how time seems to have forgotten it. The volcano is certainly worth a day of your travels, though. Be sure to spend an evening there so you can really see the lava glowing.

Oahu-do a drive around the island, see the North shore, maybe get a shore dive in, wander around Waikiki for a night. If you want to do a boat dive the corsair is kind of neat.

Kuai-Hike the Na Pali coast

Maui- Great for a drive out to Hana

Big Island- great for road trips, but it is called the big island for a reason

There are things to do on each of the islands, depends on what you are really looking for besides Diving. it also depends on how much you want to just relax while you are on vacation as well. If you want to stay action packed, two or three islands during the trip with your Scuba on the 1st or 2nd day each island. You can do the Big Island, Kauai and Oahu. If you are looking more at a relaxing vacation, then stay on the big island. There are several different parts to the island that are enjoyable and there is pleanty of diving to do over there as well. You wouldnt be so pressed to get stuff done before moving to another island.

Personally, about 5 days is enough for me on an island while on vacation, but then again, I am stationed on Oahu and have been here since 1994. Love living in Paradise.

The Big Island is BIG compared to the other islands, roughly twice the size of the other main islands combined. You'll be able to keep as busy as you want for two weeks, you'll be able to relax as much as you want for two weeks.

If you are looking at diving for several days, it's hard to top Kona. It's got lots of good dive sites, lots of fish, several good operators, and any dive operator that cares can dive you for 5-10 days or more without repeating sites unless there's some funky wave action shutting off a good portion of the dives.

The Big Island can keep you busy for two weeks, no problem. I probably would recommend 2-3 nights at least over on the Hilo side if diving and watersports isn't the total focus. I've been here 11 years, the first three I drove around quite a bit, and there's still some things over there I'd like to check out that I haven't seen.

Not to disparage the other islands, each island has it's own charm. If I was doing a two week trip with lots of diving, the Big Isalnd would be the one, with some diving involved, I'd personally probably spend more time on the Big Island than any of the other islands, with one of the other islands for about 3-5 days. If I was only coming this direction once in a lifetime, I'd probably pick 3 islands and try to spend 4-5 days at each. If I was thinking I'm likely to come back to Hawaii a couple weeks at a time 2-3 times the next decade, I'd hit the Big Island hard, get my few days of diving in and explore the rest of the island, and then save the 2 island trips for the next times.

Different strokes for different folks. What I suspect it that whatever you try, it'll probably feel like it was the right decision afterwards... you'll have a good time, all the islands are great.

I never island hop, cuts back on the diving too much.

How high does the plane fly between islands? If each hop is after a 18-24 hr no-fly period that would make the choice for me......

M

The planes are pressurized so it's high enough. Driving over from Kona to Hilo is the same as flying also. How many 18-24 hour day off's would you want during two weeks anyway? The one before I fly home would be one too many in my book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom