To help or not to help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In that situation, I would tell the Captain I'm able and willing to help in any way he directs. I would then follow his directions. Sometimes the best thing to do is just stay out of the way.

In that situation, I would tell the Captain I'm able and willing to help in any way he directs. I would then follow his directions. Sometimes the best thing to do is just stay out of the way.

This is the same thing I was thinking.

If the guy drifted 400-500m in 15 minutes, its a decent current that will lengthen the swim in a way difficult to predict, so assume it'll be done by boat or by a non-fatigued professional rescuer with proper equipment.

Best bet IMO is to boogy *ss back to the boat, stow equipment, and wait for instructions while letting the crew do their jobs. No sense in adding a second victim to the captain's list of problems, risking your neck for very little overall benefit, and complicating the 1st victims recovery.

But, if you do get involved in an in-water rescue: "... reach and throw, don't go" or find another way to contribute, like calling DAN, getting O2 or backboard ready, or getting your watch ready to assist with documenting the timeline when appropriate.

Every situation is different.

If you do intend to help, make sure the captain knows you're a rescue diver and are willing to help when you're boarding. If he needs more help than the crew can provide the captain will turn to you. If you're just there to relax or don't feel up to helping for any reason, you have no obligation to assist or inform people you are a rescue diver.

If you feel the urge to jump in to save someone, assess the changing situation and figure out if you could be more of a help or a hinderance. the worst possible thing a rescuer can do is to put himself in jeopardy and in need of rescue. Be aware of the sea state and the weather. if it is anything but flat calm and blue sky, it is always prudent to maintain unceasing eye contact with the victim. Simply standing on the bow and pointing in the direction to go with an arm can be a big help to the boat. People-sized objects are extremely easy to lose in a big ocean. This becomes a critical issue at night.

In this case, when the captain dove in after the camera guy, resassess the situation. If you feel able to complete the rescue including the swim there and back in the sea state, ask the DM, "I am a rescue diver; do you want me to swim after the captain?". This will reinforce the chain of command and allow you to assess how the DM is doing. I would not jump in the water unless i was given permission to. There may be specific procedures the boat will do that may or may not be helped with you in the water. If the captain/DM is not aware you've jumped in the water during an emergency situation, you're potentially adding complexity to the rescue.

Gauge your response with captain's. If the captain is acting rationally, and the DM is also functioning properly (e.g. not fixated on the anchor, fumbling with gear, etc.) stand back, and be ready to lend a hand. If you feel they'll be bringing an injured diver onboard, corral the herd of panicked/unresponsive divers on your boat and organise gear, emergency supplies, and make sure the DM is on the radio declaring a mayday.

This is the most any bystander could be expected to do in an emergency situation. Chances are, the captain and DM have rescued at least one overweight, overweighted, camera-laden diver per week for the entire year.

Back
Top Bottom