To go for AOW or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI Advanced Open Water (AOW) only requires you to do 5 dives. A deep and navigation dive as madatory, with 3 selective dives (Under-water Naturalist, Peak performance Boyancy, Wreck, etc).

There is some reading material for each dive, with a "Knowledge Review" before the dive, and a post dive briefing. AOW is basically just the first dive of the PADI Speciallities.

"Advanced Scuba Discussions - A forum dedicated to discussing the transitional process of migrating from the traditional recreational divng envelope into more advanced areas such as advanced nitrox and trimix diving, decompression diving, cave diving and wreck penetration diving, blackwater diving, etc. This forum isn't a place to discuss technical diving per se - that's what our technical diving forums are for - but rather to discuss those baby steps to becoming a true advanced diver who's ready to step into tech."

This is from the forum description. It should be in the Basic Scuba Discussions. For future reference, I believe OW+AOW+Rescue=Basic Scuba Diving. :)

My opinion is that it is a breach of the "standard" training protocols. "Never go beyond your training". Doing the dives and THEN learning how to do the dives is wrong. Advanced class is USUALLY all about dive planning and gas management. Also what to do in any situation that you encounter at the depths you are certifying for. We all think its a cake walk to just go alittle bit deeper but in the real world, after you do things and then learn more about what you were doing, you realize the dumb mistakes you made or could have made.....take the class and then dive. Don't spin the wheel with your life.....I am a little on the cautious side always....its the having 7 kids thing that keeps me smart

I think it really depends on WHAT AOW dives they would count toward. Let's face it - "underwater naturalist" doesn't really require much in realm of training. If you wanted to do a dive and keep track of critters you see, and then read about it in the book later, I don't see the big deal. I could probably say the same thing about "boat diver" - as far as the AOW class goes. If you're going to be out there, diving off a boat, well, hell, what more do you want? Read the boat dive chapter in the AOW book before you go. But for Deep Diver and Navigation Diver, you really kinda need to do the book work before the dives.

The same thing happened to me but a couple of very interesting things arise here. First, I think that this is one of the things PADI make its reputation as Put Another Dollar In (PADI), Second, to have the Title of Advance Open Water, wont make you an Advance OW, so in my personal opinion, log those dives and take experience, later on discuss the AOW, if you decide to go for it.

DSAO

Your shop is putting the cart in front of the horse in their offer. It just doesn't make any sense.
By their logic, any four dives you do before taking AOW could count.

The AOW course is designed so that you study some concepts in the classroom and then apply them on dives later on. It's a proven system that shouldn't be disregarded on whim.

I assume you're going to continue diving after these wreck dives, so I'd pass on the offer and plan on AOW dives after the classroom work. These can be combined with so-called regular dives, so that after doing any required excercise you'll continue the dive just as a fun dive.

Contrary to what some people are suggesting, it isn't a breach of teaching standard to do the dives before you do the theory!

However, the instructor should really give a more in-depth dive briefing to cover the theoretical and practical essentials that you otherwise would have gained from reading the corresponding chapter in the AOW Manual.

To be fair, you probably will gain more out of the course if you do your theory first and if you are this type of learner, that may be the course you want to take.

If you do go for the course this weekend, don't hesitate to ask detailed questions or if you feel like you're being short changed in your briefings, to revert back to fun dives.

I hope that helps :)

Joyful I think that as a personal opinion deep diver especially needs to have the time and bookwork done just so you know what you are getting in to. Allthough with good common sense and close attention to your spg accidents are rare. They tend to be more significant from greater depth.

If they are trying to sell you into a class just remember its like buying a car. When you walk on the lot you look like your the type to drive a BMW. Its all about you opening your wallet and filling the teal :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom