To dive or not to dive Thailand???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Folks,

Much Mahalo to you all for your great input, thoughts, ideas, web-sights/links, etc, etc....

I have been doing lots of research the last week since asking the question "to dive or not to dive".... We've come to the conclusion that we really want to dive the Similans Islands. Looks awesome, exciting And most important relaxing. Plus the boss has her heart set on Richalu Rock (sp?).

Then I come home from the daily grind to find out:
"Similans Island national Park is officially closed until the 15th November":(.....

What a bummer!!! We were looking at doing a live-aboard starting Oct. 19th. I'm aware that's a little early in the season but, were willing to gamble. I think it's an easy bet!!! I heard from another dive operator that the talk is possible opening on Oct.15th. Which would play into our hands perfectly.

Mikkylad Says: "though with an operators meeting soon that 'may' change to the 1st"...... Mik- If your part of that meeting push for the 15th "PLEASE" :D PLEASE"!!!!

Mik- When is that operators meeting??? How soon after the meeting do ya think they will they announce any changes?? If you can answer those questions??

Not all of our plans are set in stone at this point so we are kinda flexible in our schedule. I will continue to monitor the situation through web-sights, but if anyone hears any new news please drop me a line!!!

Again, Thankxx for all you help!

The meeting is on August 19th, and will have representatives from the forestry commission as there are other things on the agenda too. Hopefully the changes will be put in place very quickly, if indeed they decide to make any changes, as operators will have issue getting numbers if not.

We will have a representative there ourselves and will post any news on the Philkade Blog as soon as we have it.

Fingers crossed everyone...

Last edited:
Aloha!!

Great to hear that you're coming down to Thailand! So let's start from the top..

1. Best chance to see sharks would be Richelieu Rock, Koh Bon or Similan Islands.

2. There are loads of operations in Phuket. Most of them very professional.

3. October is one of the best times to come over. The Similans opens in the middle of the month, see to it that you book in time though to make sure you get on when you're here.

4. I have been diving for several years around the world and this is where i decided to base myself.. because of the diving.

Hope this answers your questions. Hope you decide to come down.. looking forward to meet you and your wife.

Have a good one

Sanna

Did the Thai Government decide to open the national park Early??? Mid Oct.? My understanding is that it's closed until Nov. 15th... Unless otherwise!

Hi - my husband and I did a six-day liveaboard in April to the Similans and Richelieu Rock - the diving was lovely. Was got a last minute deal which was a real bargain.

Sounds as if the tsunami damage was not too severe? Or some things are recovering. If we go for a week to 10 days, any additional sites?

Thanks!! :)

veem.... tsunami? Are you in a time warp? :)

some things are recovering

Well, yes, in fact several years ago things were recovering. Now things are recoverED 100%, or even 110%.

You can dive for a week - 10 days at different sites - like a 6 -7 day liveaboard to the Similan Islands, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock, Surin Islands; then maybe 2 days at Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Phi Phi, and you still have "local" Phuket sites like Racha Noi, the King Cruiser Wreck, Shark Point, Anemone Reef. Diveaholics paradise.

sorry, we met some divers in bonaire that had been to phuket in 2006, after the dec 26, 2004 tsunami hit and they told us there was very severe damage to the reef. guess they were mistaken. we had been delaying going because of that report.

Back
Top Bottom