To Critique or not to Critique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can we kill the personal tit-for-tat. I think this is a worthwhile topic that's getting driven into the ground.

Back to the topic at hand...

I would never second guess what someone did in the heat of the moment. But it's useful to think of what could be done better next time. Careful consideration of how accidents happen, and working out how to best prevent or react to improve the outcome of similar situations makes as all safer.

CD_in_Chitown:
Some boards have taken to creating condolence areas in addition to accident discussion areas, a beautiful concept. If you knew the deceased post up in the condolences, if you want to know what happened (Which may implicate the deceased) discuss it in the accident forum. .

I think thats a great idea. Maybe they could implement that here on Scubaboard.

DennisS:
"Joe Diver, age 40, found dead in 35 ft of water"

then it starts

He was diving solo
He was inexperienced
He was out of shape, probably a heart attack
His gear hadn't been serviced recently
He was never certified
He was dehydrated
He hadn't been diving in 5 years
He came up and hit his head on the bottom of the boat
He was shocked by an electric eel

blah, blah, blah I get really tired of the speculation from people that don't have the facts and I think it serves no useful purpose.

Speculating is one thing - stating it as fact is another. I actually see value in each of the above statements for discussion. What are the risks to prepare for when any or each of the above are a factor? It just keeps us sharp to ponder them.

I would say that when presented in a manner that appears to make the writer a superior diver, it gets folks angry. If we presented it differently, it would probably spark a discussion. (i.e. - "I don't know if it WAS an equipment problem, but this sure makes me wonder how diligent I need to be with my equipment maintenance. How often to you folks have yours serviced and what do you look for between services" vs "I know my equipment like the back of my hand and always have it serviced on time. I would never have an equipment problem {because I'm infallable}")

Speculation in and of itself is not the problem. The presentation is everything.

Peace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom