To Critique or not to Critique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Understand and appreciate that. Some people just get upset at all those off topic attempts at improving the Karma of a thread. :wink:

CD_in_Chitown:
But you just won't let it go....

My arse
Already did let it go, as I keep doing until someone else posts on it and intrigues my interest yet once again, If you look back I have been doing absolutely nothing but replying to the discussion so please get your facts straight.

I haven't let it gone on one sided, no... I feel that if one person is allowed to add his two cents then another should be even more able to do so as well... Or are you saying that howarde should get his say over and over, while all the time posting incorrect information and others should not dare to disagree?

It would be the same as crying to me about replying to your post now. If you don't see that it is about whether to critique or not to critique then you have a very serious delemna.

Here I will try to catch you up to date:

Howarde feels that a few should not have critiqued Kevin, I don't think they did. I think that howarde should not have critiqued the few for asking questions and sharing ideas.

Basically the logistics of the situation. You really should know the facts about what is going on before you ask that others take it to PM's but even knowing you don't I will still co-operate, no problem...

But you see others have to as well, I will reply as long as it is asked of me or my interest peaks.

Divesherpa:
Howard,

I'm with you. I haven't pointed any fingers. I speak in generalizations to avoid provoking emotional outpourings from individuals outside our area of diving. I appreciate the support, but find it unnecessary.
Terry has 29 posts, most of which were somewhat informative and reasonable. He seems very emotionally attached to this issue. Many of us are. This thread will continue down the toilet until someone closes it or we stop bickering over irrelevant BS.
Terry,
If I have met you and offended you in some way, join the crowd.

The facts have been published by Kevin. Draw your own conclusion. Terry is the only person that I mentioned because his humor (lol) directed at me. I have stated my opinion (and fault) in that situation. Searching for that post would take hours, so he obviously has a personal grudge. Again, join the crowd.

This horse has been beat to death. Very little constructive is coming from this discussion. Terry, enjoy your salt water lake. Howard, see ya next week for more of the great diving we always have. Everyone else remember why this thread was started. It has become personal to some.

The outpouring of respect and well wishes for Kevin remains the most constructive thing to come from these threads. Let's focus on that.

If anyone has a personal issue that they would like to settle, let's sit down. I'll buy you a beer and listen to your complaint. You may be right. I may be right. Right now, those points are irrelevant as people are dead on my home reef and a good friend had to raise the bodies.

Cheers,
Jamie

I respectfully agree 100%, I have never met you nor have you ever offended me. As I stated I already have let it go and will continue to do so, with civility like this post how could I refuse. Heck, if we ever did meet I would buy you a beer but uhmm I can't do alcohol. A handshake and a smile to start good communication would suffice... Thanks.
TerryInFlorida

Btw, the search was easy, took me all of two minutes at best. I just clicked on your avatar, then on the bottom right of your profile the section called 'Board Information' has a 'Find all posts by Divesherpa' link...

TerryInFlorida:
Already did let it go

Another blatant lie, I can prove it by the fact it was there to quote.

TerryinFlorida:
If you look back I have been doing absolutely nothing but replying to the discussion

This would imply you're adding some value, which is certainly debateable.

TerryinFlorida:
Or are you saying that howarde should get his say over and over, while all the time posting incorrect information and others should not dare to disagree?

He said his peace, you said yours. The bigger man left the discussion, the troll won't let it resume. You figure it out.

TerryinFlorida:
It would be the same as crying to me about replying to your post now

me critiquing you or vice versa is OFF TOPIC GENIUS

TerryinFlorida:
But you see others have to as well, I will reply as long as it is asked of me or my interest peaks.

And as long as we're critiquing; you peak on acid trips and at the top of mountains. Your interest can be piqued, but what's grammer to someone with an axe to grind.

TerryinFlorida:
until someone else posts on it and intrigues my interest

And that is redundant, you're either intrigued or interested. Nothing intrigues interest.

And this
TerryinFlorida:
Here I will try to catch you up to date:

Howarde feels that a few should not have critiqued Kevin, I don't think they did. I think that howarde should not have critiqued the few for asking questions and sharing ideas.

...is not at all what we're talking about, its what you two maroons are talking about. Re-read Narcosis' posts, its his thread.

match point CD :wink:

OK, lets look at this from another angle, agree on the facts, agree to disagree and maybe we can move on and all go back to being friends.

Fact 1. Kevin went above and beyond what was required of him when he retrieved 2 deceased divers.

Fact 2. Kevin did nothing wrong.

Fact 3. Although some posts may have come off sounding like they were critical of Kevin, they were in fact not meant to be.

Fact 4. Kevin himself has said discussing the incident was a good thing.

Fact 5. We are all entitled to look at this from different angles and discuss the incident and post our opinions good or bad with or without all the facts, and doing so is not being critical of Kevin

Fact 6. we are all entitled to disagree with each others opinions good or bad, and doing so civilly is not being critical of each other.

Did I miss anything, and no sarcasim please, there has been enough of that today, and I point that finger at myself as well.

N@rco$i$:
Did I miss anything, and no sarcasim please, there has been enough of that today, and I point that finger at myself as well.

We all appear to be clear on this issue. Hospitability will resume in:

Now, we have hospitability!

Cheers,
Jamie

N@rco$i$:
Fact 5. We are all entitled to look at this from different angles and discuss the incident and post our opinions good or bad with or without all the facts, and doing so is not being critical of Kevin

For the record. I was never opposed to discussion about HOW the accident may have happened, or potential ways to avoid such an accident. :)

N@rco$i$:

No you didn't - BTW - I never wanted to make anything personal. I guess it hit a nerve. :D

N@rco$i$:
Opinions wanted. Do you or would you Critique an incident/accident and post your thoughts even when your opinion will probably be unpopular.

Sure, I participated in a discussion on another board where the decedent's family came online and asked us to stop. Sorry, but learning from the mistakes of others helps those that come after them and its not just diving boards where this occurs.

Some boards have taken to creating condolence areas in addition to accident discussion areas, a beautiful concept. If you knew the deceased post up in the condolences, if you want to know what happened (Which may implicate the deceased) discuss it in the accident forum. Speculation and conjecture on what could have happened vs. how to react in those various scenarios makes up a large part of accident analysis on the interweb. If you really want factual information and discussions on diving accidents and incidents there are much better online resources than Scubaboard (Sorry Pete).

To those that feel they should carry on the speculation and conjecture to include comment on how the rescuer/recoverer executed before, during, and after the recovery is a little more sensitive and I might consider it a gray area. When you pull two bodies out of the ocean and find yourself thrust into the spotlight by the authorities and the local media, try and hold that "no comment" line. Hope it works for you, if it doesn't I don't think anyone has a right to judge. Recovering a body is a traumatic experience.

Exception - If the rescuer contributes or exacerbates the situation that is another matter entirely.

CD_in_Chitown:
He said his peace, you said yours. The bigger man left the discussion, the troll won't let it resume. You figure it out.

Is this a test or what? Hahaha, this is me letting it go....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom