To Critique or not to Critique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that there are 2 levels to this- the first one relates to the specific incident- in which case, I agree with howarde and lead carrier. The other level is more general, and may not resemble the actual incident at all, but might help others learn from accidents and fatalities, and the kinds of things that can go wrong.

For example, a diver runs out of air at depth and rockets to the surface. Only a handful of people will know what really happened- narcosis, broken SPG, reg failure, etc, so it's pretty much pointless to figure out what actually happened.

We could speculate on how many ways there are to run out of air, and this might help divers who are less paranoid and less creative. We can also discuss, in general, the proper protocols and responses so that other divers can be more informed and more prepared.

I don't think discussions on something like SB are of interest to lawyers in general. After all, if they are going to get involved in a scuba fatality, they are going to hire experts who would be more than capable of examining all the possibilities that SB members can raise.

I do agree with lamont, that suppressing discussion "in respect to the family" is a way of not getting the maximum value to living divers out of an incident that resulted in a death. Remember Uncle Pug's "If I should die while diving" thread? If anything happened to me underwater, I'd want everybody to hash it out in public and be as critical of my actions as necessary to help other divers learn not to do whatever I did that caused the accident. I don't think dying in an accident absolves the victim of blame for what happened, if in fact the victim's actions caused or contributed to the problem. Accident analysis helps keep the rest of us safer.

Catherine, I don't know about the legal status of M&M conferences, but since there was never anything written down, you'd have to subpoena somebody who was there and could testify to the proceedings. And I suspect we'd all have trouble remembering :)

howarde:
I think more people here would do the former instead of the latter.

Hmmm, since you were the third person to post, does that mean that you think that dherbman and N@rco$i$ would just talk out their arse? That you and N@rco$i$ would just talk out your arse's? Or that you and dherbman would just talk out your arse's?

I am merely asking questions to attempt to find out what your opinions are, not an attempt to insult. If you find the questions insulting, I aplogize.

TerryInFlorida:
Hmmm, since you were the third person to post, does that mean that you think that dherbman and N@rco$i$ would just talk out their arse? That you and N@rco$i$ would just talk out your arse's? Or that you and dherbman would just talk out your arse's?
I am merely asking questions to attempt to find out what your opinions are, not an attempt to insult. If you find the questions insulting, I aplogize.

There's no reading between the lines. Should we look at your finger pointing in the "other thread"? I merely said that a lot of people on SB - spew - with or without knowledge of the topic - merely to spew. ESPECIALLY when it comes to accidents and incidents. It seems a lot of people think they would know how to respond better in a given situation. Which is EASY TO SAY - while sitting at your computer, but in real life... things are totally different than in "simulations" or "scenarios"

Nowhere did I say anything about dherbman or Narcosis specifically.

dherbman:
That's OK, I can take a hint. :D
I didn't want everyone to know that you can actually speak from your arse.

I've learned alot from reading the discussions here. I think most can decide for themselves what is speculation etc. I'd rather see folks share their thoughts freely as long as they are not derrogatory or ugly in nature. I'll decide what to focus on and what not to. If we try to silence or filter what is said, I think we will miss out on alot.

Just my two cents.
Thanks

howarde:
There's no reading between the lines. Should we look at your finger pointing in the "other thread"? I merely said that a lot of people on SB - spew - with or without knowledge of the topic - merely to spew. ESPECIALLY when it comes to accidents and incidents. It seems a lot of people think they would know how to respond better in a given situation. Which is EASY TO SAY - while sitting at your computer, but in real life... things are totally different than in "simulations" or "scenarios"

And I say let 'em spew and let 'em armchair quarterback it. What I really don't like to see is the suppression of any discussion because some people are insufferable about their opinions on accidents. Every time there is a posting of an accident on scubaboard I see the same people come out and start screaming "no speculation" and threatening moderation if anyone crosses over the line, and suppressing discussion like that is substantially more harmful than having to put up with idiots with opinions.

Critique

howarde:

Nowhere did I say anything about dherbman or Narcosis specifically.

Sorry but do you mean my pointing out facts. I know what you said it is at the top of this thread. I have not seen what you speak of can you give an example?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom