To chest strap or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I recall right you said you had not tired the rig in the water. I know you have to be comfortable getting to the water, but what happens on land and water is very different. Making sure you have it set up right will be key. It might take someone that knows what they are doing to help you.

You are right. I do need some pool time. I'm going to try and find a way after New Years.

If you're using a standard backplate, crossing the straps will totally eliminate the cutting under the arms. I think Eric's plate eliminates the problem by putting the shoulder strap slot behind you much closer together than on a regular plate.

A chest strap would drive me crazy. I've got my backup reg and my dry suit inflator in that same general area.

A chest strap would drive me crazy. I've got my backup reg and my dry suit inflator in that same general area.

With my chest strap, my back up reg is higher (right under my chin) & I pass the strap below the drysuit inflator for easy access. Held in place with the attachment nipple & hose.

TSandM I can appreciate your position, but even though I have the same gear there I don't notice a problem. I run the chest strap UNDER the inflator hose (so it is out of the way) and once in my gear I don't touch the chest strap buckle (a 3/4" fastex side release) until I get done with the dive. I can easily disconnect my drysuit hose underwater with the chest strap buckled. It probably makes a difference where the chest strap crosses.

I did try re-rigging my harness to cross the straps behind my neck. It helped some but I still liked it with the chest strap better. Since in my case "it isn't broke" there is no need to "fix" it.

The only disadvantage I see to having a chest strap is one more buckle to fasten, and more importantly one more to un-fasten in an emergency. But then again, in and emergency my harness is probably easier than the standard Hog one to remove. If I'm missing something someone please speak up.

Ok, my verdict is in. Under the waves, I don't need a chest strap. Above the waves, yes it's helpful. So for Bonaire, there will be a chest strap. Boat dives, probably not. That's the beauty of an adjustable harness!

Back
Top Bottom