To chest strap or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Ladies. I am setting up a BPW rig and making the harness myself. I am debating whether are not to include a chest strap. Would appreciate a female perspective on this issue. Bear in mind, because I am designing the harness myself, I can also place the strap at any level I wish.

I did a search but could not find a thread that addressed this specific question. Most were question about the fit of vest/jacket style BCD's.

If you have any other experienced suggestions regarding a harness design specific for a woman, I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks,
Lisa

No need for a cheststrap.

I use a standard hogarthian rig and have curves EVERYWHERE. I love my rig because it does NOT have a cheststrap.

My GF uses the standard harness and likes it. We actually started with the transpack adjustable type harnesses. When I switched them over she was "resistant" saying she wanted to keep what she had. After the first couple of dives and getting the standard harness PROPERLY adjusted she has been much happier with it then the other one.

Another friend I know, who I am sure will chime in soon, is very small stature and she crosses the webbing behind her to make it fit proper.

My fiancee uses a Freedom Plate with a standard one piece harness. She is extremely happy with it. She told me if anyone tried to get her to use a BC with a chest strap again she would not make the dive.

Thanks guys. As I mentioned on a general thread, the one piece harness webbing cuts me under my arms. I wondered if perhaps it's a combination of my short torso, relatively narrow shoulders and really stiff webbing. But it doesn't sound like many other women have this issue.

I haven't tried crossing the straps behind my neck, but if I don't use a chest strap the arm straps fall off or interfere with my arm movement (reaching across to work my dry-suit exhaust valve). I know you are supposed to make it work without a chest strap, but that hasn't worked for me yet.

I have a D-ring in my arm straps (as a pivot point) and the chest strap attaches there. If I ever figure how to make it work w/o the chest strap they are easy to remove. Overall it is VERY comfortable - so I have no incentive to change it. FYI I'm 5'6" 135# and avg sized breasts.

If I recall right you said you had not tired the rig in the water. I know you have to be comfortable getting to the water, but what happens on land and water is very different. Making sure you have it set up right will be key. It might take someone that knows what they are doing to help you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom