tizip leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally I have my suit back. Just tried it on a shallow dive, and was dry again. So now new 2 years warranty on the zip. But I hope not to have problems again, need the suit too much. :wink:

I am having similar problems on my drysuit. But I have narrowed it down to the zipper. I have been storing the zipper open and realized that it doesn't always catch and close properly on the base of the zipper. It was a phantom leak that only happened 5 times in the past 2 years. My dive buddy did a full inspection this time and found a small gap. Definitely will be stored zipper closed!

I am having similar problems on my drysuit. But I have narrowed it down to the zipper. I have been storing the zipper open and realized that it doesn't always catch and close properly on the base of the zipper. It was a phantom leak that only happened 5 times in the past 2 years. My dive buddy did a full inspection this time and found a small gap. Definitely will be stored zipper closed!

Sorry, I don't understand the correlation between the suit being stored with the zipper open and it leaking? Why now storing it with the zipper closed will the leak stop? What is the mechanism that's causing it to leak? Cheers.

What kind/brand of zipper does your suit have on it?

Some are supposed to be stored with the zipper closed, TiZip, yet others like YKK etc, are stored with the zippers open.

For some strange reason the teeth were not catching and had a small gap. It was a TiZip. Must have been some dust but I was almost OCD about cleaning and greasing the zipper. Now that I know what to look for, it will not happen again.

For some strange reason the teeth were not catching and had a small gap. It was a TiZip. Must have been some dust but I was almost OCD about cleaning and greasing the zipper. Now that I know what to look for, it will not happen again.

Might have the problem...what are you "greasing" the zipper with? Are you greasing the teeth or just the end of the zipper?

What kind/brand of zipper does your suit have on it?

Some are supposed to be stored with the zipper closed, TiZip, yet others like YKK etc, are stored with the zippers open.

So how should drysuits be stored? Zipped or unzipped? I have a Bare XCS2 Tech Dry with a TiZip Master Seal. The TiZip web site recommends storing the suit with the zipper closed but that only to keep the zipper clean. I'm wondering what is the best way to extend the life of the seal. Seems to me that the zipper seal would compress and form a memory and the seal would weaken if stored closed. What about brass zippers?

hi there, for the last 5 or 6 dives i have been wet after each dive, soaked on upper chest and entire left arm. i had thought it was coming in through the dump since thats where the bulk of the wetness was coming from. so i inverted the suit plugged the seals filled it with are sprayed it with a 50/50 soap water mix painted all the seams with a paint brush and sprayed the valved and everything was good until, i sprayed the zipper. i have a santi emotion with a tzip about 3 years old roughly 300 dives on it. the bubbles are coming out mostly at the top near the shoulder with a could small leaks at the chest. i am very meticulous with my gear and care for it well. i have always stored the half closed half open hanging. every 5 or so dive i always lube the zip and the bottom dock on both sides and run the zip up and down a few times. now that i know where the leaks are i will clean and inspect all the teeth re lube and re test. hopefully that works.

questions to the people who have had to send suits in for new zips.

how long was the turn around for the suit?
did you send it back to santi or have it fixed locally?

Typically I store mine 3/4 closed. I only lubricate the bottom section of the zipper with the specific T-Zip lube. I have heard of some people using different lubricants and it not working, thus people getting wet. The T-Zip does come with a two year warranty with is more than the one offered for your typical metal zipper. For non-warranty work you can call/send to Oceanedge Outfitters. They use to be the US Distributor, so they are factory trained and work on SANTI Drysuits as well as any other manufacturers suits. If it is a warranty issue then that would have to go back to Halcyon.

Back
Top Bottom